Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition are they getting enough?

melissa138921

Cavy Slave
Every day I give my 2 pigs a bowl of romaine lettuce (which they share) and 3 pieces of carrot each. They also have a vitamin supplement that I put in their water. and I have been trying to introduce cucumber and bell pepper. The littler one likes the cucumber and the older one is not sure about it. I will also put tiny pieces of the bell pepper into nibble rings and introduce it that way so they get used to the taste. My question is are they getting enough vitamin C? and my vet also said that block hay is fine but that regular Timothy hay is better for them but not only is is messy but I am scared that they will not have anything to wear down their teeth.

Don't bother with the vitamin supplement in the water. It breaks down almost immediately and is therefore worthless. Loose timothy hay in unlimited quantities is the best thing you can give them for their teeth, and fresh veggies are the best way to make sure they're getting their vitamin C.

The hay IS what wears down their teeth. You don't have to worry about the front teeth being worn down -- if there are tooth problems, it's usually from the molars, and those need the hay. Block hay is NOT fine for regular consumption, although you can use it for traveling, etc. If you buy it, be sure to get the kind that's held together by heat and compression, not with sweeteners. As for the mess, that goes with the territory -- there's no way to have healthy guinea pigs with hay everywhere, as far as I can tell.

Introduce veggies by putting tiny pieces on their pellets -- they'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed it in bigger pieces.

Limit the carrots to one small piece per day -- carrot has too much vitamin A and oxalates to be fed in large quantities. Cucumber should also be limited because it can cause gas, which may lead to bloat. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/ for what you can feed and when.

Never put vitamins in water unless you're going to immediately feed it to the pig by syringe. Vitamin C begins to degrade immediately, and within a few hours, is totally worthless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.