Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Are they getting along ok?

chaterboxgodden

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have a couple of questions. I got a piggy (George) on Thursday and then following advice went back and got one of his brothers (Louie) yesterday.

How do I know if they are getting on? George keeps mounting Louie and he doesn't seem to mind too much, they will stay in the hidey together. They both chatter to each other really quietly but George keeps swaying his hips at Louie. Louie also seems to have a couple of bite sized bits of ear missing. George is happy to let Louie eat the fresh food and the veggies and they have a water bottle each. Do you think they are getting along ok. There has been no screeching or wheeking.

Secondly, how long should I let them settle in for before I introduce floor time?

Sam

The rule of thumb with introducing piggies is to only separate them only for the following reasons: blood is being drawn or one of them is loosing weight due to being blocked from food. You should have hidies that have at least 2 exits so one of the piggies doesn't get stuck. They also need more the one food bowl, water bottle and hay rack. If a piggy is blocking the other one from eating it can't gaurd more the one bottle or bowl. Good luck!

They have 3 separate sources of hay aside from their bedding and one bowl of dry food and one bowl of salad. They seem happy to share both.

I'd really appreciate some advice on floor time, I took George and Louie into the kitchen with me so that they could run around without getting under anything but after having a tentative sniff of the area they hid in the same hidey tube.

They wouldn't come out for any food and they wont eat from my hand. Any suggestions to get them used to me?

Are they getting along ok?

For floor time your going to want to put an old blanket/towels/fleece down. The kitchens surface is slippery with their claws. Also you just got them, so it will take a while for them to get comfortable with you, their new home, and floor time. After a few weeks they will start to explore more. Try a floor time with no places to hide, but with food/hay. Sit with them, but don't try to pet them or make any movements. They will crawl near you and check you out, and get used to you.

Also don't pet them in their cage, they won't let you yet. It's taken two months for my pigs to trust me to the point where I could pet them once before the jet away. I found making a ramp out of the cage for them to come and go from floor time as they please really fast tracked them trusting me, because I didn't frighten them/chase them to pick them up. I found that chasing them worked against me. I kept the ramp for 4 days, and now noticed a huge social improvement(the petting and willingness to leave their cage). Good luck!

Excellent thanks for your advice, I have a washable short pile carpet (flotex) in the kitchen so I don't need to worry about them skidding about, next time I'll leave their tunnel in the cage and just bring them and their hay toys. I was using my study time by laying on the floor and reading a book while they were supposed to be running around but instead they just sat and watched me!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.