Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Are these wood pellets safe?

6GPS7

Cavy Slave
Finally found some wood pellets. Its horse bedding, but it also says right on the package that you can use it for small animals. It is 100% pine - no mention of if its kiln dried or not. It does not have a strong smell. Their website also says that rodents can use it... So... Safe or not safe?

http://talonabm.com/set_up.php

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't trust them just because they say it's safe for small animals (I mean, cedar bedding is advertised for small animals, and is that safe?), but if it has no strong odor than it should be okay.

6GPS7

Cavy Slave
Here's an excerpt I found on how they are manufactured. Looks like they are heat treated. WDYT?

"While how wood pellet bedding is produced may differ by manufacturer, here’s how Talon ABM is made. ABM (Advanced Bedding Management) comes from raw pine material, only sourced from sawmills that cut more than 85-90% pine, with occasional portions of White Fir. There are no additives or chemicals involved. The product is manufactured from 100% wood. At no point during any part of the process is any other substance, other than clean water, blended in with the raw material. During manufacturing of the product, raw material has essentially been sterilized. Material is dried for up to thirty minutes at a range of 800°F down to 145°F at the conclusion of the drying process. The product is then subjected to approximately 20-30,000 PSI pressure, increasing temperature back up to approximately 200°F prior to cooling to room temperature. The product is packaged in clear bags so that the quality of the product can be seen."

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as there's no strong pine odor, they're fine.

6GPS7

Cavy Slave
Woohoo! Thanks!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Pine pellets are the best! I hope they work out as well for you as they did me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.