Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Are these wood pellets safe?

Rainspinner

Cavy Slave
In one of my previous posts, I asked for suggestions to alternative bedding because my sister has sensitive skin and has reactions to Aspen bedding.

Recently, I've been looking around for hay for my guinea pigs, and I've decided on Vanderveen Hay, located about an hour drive away from me. I'm just waiting on their 2nd cut Timothy hay to come in. I also noticed they carry Eagle pellets at $4.50 for a 35lb bag. On the pellet manufacturer's website (http://www.eaglevalleyabm.com/about.html), it says "Eagle Valley ABM is manufactured of 100% whitewood with approximately 4% moisture content." and "Pine, a natural deodorizer, controls ammonia the natural way." I'm assuming these pellets are made with pine, but I believe the only pine that's safe is kiln-dried pine and I can't find any information about that on their website. Is there any other way of saying kiln-dried? This would be a nice, affordable bedding for my pigs if it's safe.

On another note, how much is 35lbs worth of wood pellets? I'm used to shavings saying the cubic feet it expands to, not the weight of the pellets. I have a 2x3 cage.

Thank you, as always!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I can't fine anywhere where it says that it's kiln-dried. I would go the store and ask to see some of the pellets, and make sure they don't have a smell. If they have a strong smell, they're no good for piggies. Wood pellets are really heavy so 35lbs is less than you might think. I have a 2x6 cage and use 2 40lb bags to fill it, a 35lb bag would probably be perfect for a 2x3.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I pay about $7 for 40 pounds of pellets. One bag is more than enough for my 15 square-foot cage.

There's no other way to say "kiln-dried." I'd email them and ask.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The hardwood pellets should be safe so long as they don't have any accelerants or other chemicals added. The softwood are in the same category as the pine -- if they're kiln dried with no additives, they're usable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.