Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? are these good quality?

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
pellets-
(broken link removed)
hay-
(broken link removed)

I haven't heard of Tractor Supply Company. I always order from KMS Hayloft.

:)

I don't like the fact that three out of the top five ingredients are soy and corn, and guinea pigs don't need either of those. It can be hard to find a pellet without soy, but it should be way down on the list of ingredients.

Besides, the main ingredient of pellets should be hay, not wheat middlings.

what about the hay? its way cheaper than kaytee, and i dont know if i can convince anyone to be some online(Im 15) so is that hay better than the kaytee?

I would have to say no they'er not,looking at the ingredient list its full of useless fillers.

40 pounds of KM 3rd cut timothy hay, which is hands down the best hay available, will cost you right at $55, shipping to Memphis included included. That's $1.38 a pound. The LM you posted is $1.67 a pound. Cheaper than KM, right? Wrong! Figure out the price per pound, that's the only way you can compare online versus local prices for either hay or pellets.

What you don't realize is that you also pay for shipping for whatever you buy in the local shops. They just add the shipping costs into the cost of their item and quote you one price. They certainly don't get it shipped for free, and they're not going to give to you without charging you for shipping.

That LM hay is awful looking, by the way. I'd call it straw, not hay.

As for they hay, I really can't say but tgoing form the picture it looks vey yellow. But it can vary from store to store. Try to convince your parents into ordering online by showing them that per pound, ordering in bulk from a place KMS is way way cheaper in the long run.

Or also I know TSC also sells timothy by the bale for about $8ish? I think. (If you have room for that much) . Its where we get our hay for the rescue, the quality isn't the greatest, not as high as KMS tends to be. But its not horrible either, I'd say average, but that also might change from store to store.

its just a picture though. itd depend on what itd look like in person and 55dollars is wayyy too much.

As for they hay, I really can't say but tgoing form the picture it looks vey yellow. But it can vary from store to store. Try to convince your parents into ordering online by showing them that per pound, ordering in bulk from a place KMS is way way cheaper in the long run.

Or also I know TSC also sells timothy by the bale for about $8ish? I think. (If you have room for that much) . Its where we get our hay for the rescue, the quality isn't the greatest, not as high as KMS tends to be. But its not horrible either, I'd say average, but that also might change from store to store.
ill have to see if they have the bails. i emailed a feed store near me to see if they carry it. i know they carry hay but i dont know about timothy hay.

its just a picture though. itd depend on what itd look like in person and 55dollars is wayyy too much.

But how much would 40 pounds of store bought hay cost you?
You want soft, green hay with very little stems. In their pictures it looks really beige & stemmy which means low nutritional value. The quality of hay is extremely important to guinea pigs overall health & wellbeing.

I wouldn't feed those pellets either. If you can get KMs, there is no better pellet out there, or hay for that matter. Never compromise on diet.

55dollars is wayyy too much.

By the time you buy 40 pounds of LM hay, you'll have spent $66.80. Why isn't that "wayyy too much?"

im getting oxbow or zupreem food. how long will a bag of either last me? im going to look at a couple of feed stores and if not ill order online but ill probably have to buy a 14lb bag online.

this is what ill get if i cant find anything at the feed stores.
(broken link removed)

im getting oxbow or zupreem food. how long will a bag of either last me? im going to look at a couple of feed stores and if not ill order online but ill probably have to buy a 14lb bag online.
Out of the two,looking a zupreem's ingredients list, it has too much useless corn filler, go for Oxbow. How long it lasts depends on how many pigs you have.

i have 2 females.

Hay costs me $8 a week for a tiny Oxbow bag. If you can afford it, buy more! Especially if you have two pigs. You need unlimited hay.

well my grandparents found a place that sells timothy hay on the way back, and they got me a bale and they got me some oxbow pellets. how should i store the hay? can they go in plastic bins?

In a cardboard box with holes poked in it so it can breathe. No plastic/tightly-sealed containers.

i couldnt use a plastic container with wholes in the lid?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.