Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Are These Bell Peppers Safe?

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
I am curious to see if these vegetables are safe for my pigs. We get them often for us, so it would be nice to have them for my guinea pigs also. here's some pics:
Are These Bell Peppers Safe?

Thanks!

Actually, mini bell peppers are my pigs' new favorite. I only give them servings 4 times a week though because the red ones are higher in sugar content. They are packed with Vitamin C and perfectly safe, just go easy because of the sugar.

I wondered about them too... thanks for posting :)

Oh man, my guinea pigs love those....and so do I! I just follow the guidelines I would for regular peppers-yellow and orange ok, red only sometimes. I like the red ones best myself, anyways.

Didn't know that red were high in sugar... I knew they hd vitamin C in them, so I've been feeding them the red ones. We had a bunch anyway... Guess I'll cut back on them a little!

Thanks so much! I'm excited to give them to my pigs! Thanks for replying so quickly!!!

I've seen these in the store and have been wondering about them! Now I might get them once Rodney decides he likes bell peppers.

I had been wondering about these as well when i was grocery shopping the other day. Thought they'd be good for a veggie mix for fajita's and was wondering if they were safe for piggies! Now that I know, I'll have to buy some!

I feed them every day, seeds and all. HUGE hit!

I was wondering about those too! Glad someone brought it up! I didn't know about the red peppers though... Oops.

At first my guineas wouldn't eat bell pepper, so I started with the red because I was hoping they would like the sweeter taste. I use a cheese grater to shred it up over their pellets, and now they've (finally) started to eat it :) I'm hoping once they get used to eating the red, they will like the other colors too!
I've read to leave the seeds out, and I was wondering, is that only because they are a choking hazard but are safe to eat? I've been painstakingly picking them all out, but it would be great if I could shred them up with the rest of it :melodrama

I would like to know if you have to take the seeds out as well because I take them out now, but can you leave them in?

Yah, I also thought feeding them the seeds was a choking hazard. It can be a pain sometimes to get every single one of the seeds out of the bell peppers.

The idea of not feeding seeds is that someone thought they are a choking hazard. They are not. I cut the peppers in half, rinse them, and feed the entire pepper. No fatalities to report and I've been feeding these whole peppers for over a year now.

I think the problem with seeds is with hard ones that may crack when bitten and possibly cause choking. Mine don't have any trouble at all with the soft bell pepper or tomato seeds.

Oh thank goodness :tearsofjo Thank you!

Sorry for all the questions, but I had no idea we could also feed them the stems! This is true right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.