Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Are there vines that are 100% safe to feed your piggie?

bella_the_piggy

Cavy Gazer
I've thought about growing vines and letting it climb on a wall on the outside of my piggie's cage, so that she can eat at her own leisure. I haven't been able to find any plants that are ABSOLUTELY safe for her to eat though. I've heard that tomato vines are generally poisonous, as well as the acid in the fruit being bad for piggies. I'm honestly not sure if its a bad idea to allow plants to grow on her cage at all, but I do intend on trimming the plant as well as giving it somewhere else to climb besides her cage so the plant doesn't take over the cage entirely. I'm just unsure of what options I have as far as plants go. If this is a bad idea, I'm also open to opinions. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know of any vine that would be safe.

But beyond that, it sounds like the cage is outside, and I really don't think housing a pig outside is a good idea. There's no way to protect them from snakes and stinging insects. Other animals can break into the cage. They hide illness very well, and you're much more likely to miss it if you only see them at feeding time.

To me, one of the great joys of having guinea pigs is interacting with them. They've got great personalities, and they're endlessly entertaining. Mine lived in my den, which is the hub of all the activity in the house, and we all enjoyed them.

bella_the_piggy

Cavy Gazer
I don't know of any vine that would be safe.

But beyond that, it sounds like the cage is outside, and I really don't think housing a pig outside is a good idea. There's no way to protect them from snakes and stinging insects. Other animals can break into the cage. They hide illness very well, and you're much more likely to miss it if you only see them at feeding time.

To me, one of the great joys of having guinea pigs is interacting with them. They've got great personalities, and they're endlessly entertaining. Mine lived in my den, which is the hub of all the activity in the house, and we all enjoyed them.
My cage is indoors.