Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Are there specific types of grass to feed guinea pigs

peacheshershey

Cavy Slave
Is there a certain kind of grass guinea pig need to eat or can they eat just any kind? I really have no clue what kind of grass we have. Also how much grass Do they need? It would be very helpful to know :). - peacheshershey

They don't HAVE to eat grass. As for what type: Snowy eats anything whenever we're outside so I don't think there's a certain type they should eat or even a certain amount. I'd love to hear what others have to say about this though.

Any type of regular, untreated grass from your yard (given it isn't DIRECTLY near a busy road) will make your Piggies happy. I would still rinse it off.

However, a lot of Guinea Pigs would rather eat Wheat Grass. (broken link removed)_

Wheat Grass and Cat Grass are the same.

As for amounts, start off slowly, and if your Pigs like them, you can increase the amount to whatever they will eat. Grass can be fed in unlimited amounts.

Guinea pigs mainly need unlimited grass hay, timothy is the most popular, though other good kinds include Bluegrass and Orchard. The best brands are either KMS or Oxbow, most other aren't recommend. I personally love KMS the most, it's also cheaper even with the shipping. Here is where you can find it: (broken link removed) If you are looking to grow your pigs some grass also, a lot of people will use wheat grass. Personally I've tried it, and it's a lot of work to cut it and such, and it can also mold, etc if not cared for right (We had a nasty incident with fruit flys) Fresh grass also needs to be introduced slowly, if not it can cause bloat (Or so I have heard) If your looking to feed your pigs grass outside, you have to make 100% sure that no chemicals of any kind have been sprayed on it, no animals go to the bathroom on it, or has been mowed recently. You also have to make sure that you have a good enclosure to keep them in with a top preferably, as birds have been known to sweep down fast a pick up a pig. You also need to be watching them the whole time they are outside, as people, animals, bugs, can hurt your pigs.

Wheat Grass and Cat Grass are the same.

Thought I would just comment on this, a lot of Cat Grass actually isn't Wheat Grass, lots of them are mixes, they will say in the ingredients "May contain any of the following" and will have stuff like Wheat Grass, Barley Grass, Etc. I've done some research on some of the grasses I've seen cat grass contain, and haven't come to a conclusion over if they are safe or not, it's better to just by Wheat Grass seeds, or to read the ingredients of cat grass well to make sure they don't contain other grasses.

It's not grass that guinea pigs need, it's hay. Good quality, fresh hay. And unlimited amounts of it.

Hay is the most important part of a guinea pig's diet. It keeps their digestive tract moving and helps to wear down their teeth from their chewing.

Try: (broken link removed) High quality hay. Good quality pellets as well. Pigs under 6 mths need alfalfa to supplement their timothy intake. Over 6 mths need timothy. Alfalfa contains a much higher calcium content which can cause problems in adult pigs.

Another source: Oxbow Animal Health | Home

Thanks for the information. My pigs have unlimited timothy hay.I have a guinea pig under 6 months , but she is with an almost 2 year old guinea pig, is it absolutly necessary to feed the baby alfalfa hay? I won't give them any grass. They haven't even had any before so I think i'll just stick with hay. Thanks again , everyone is so helpful on here I'm glad I joined Guinea pig cages:eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.