Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Are My Hideys OK?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I have been reading on how people do not like the idea of "Pigloos" (i.e they don't have enough circulation/piggies breathe in the fumes of poop because they have a top) because they promote laziness. Like, the Guinea Pigs hide in it ALL the time.

Well, my Hideys are:

1: Made of wood.

2: Created with 2 Entrances/exits

3: Have a top

4: Have mini windows in the shape of a circle

5: No bottom
___

I have 3 houses in all, 2 in the cage, 1 in the playpen (cage and playpen are connected) and a tunnel as well for them to hide in in each area.

Do my houses seem alright? My piggies do not stay in them all day. Most of the time it is for around 15-30 minutes at a time, 3-5 times a day.

What are everybody else's thoughts?

Thanks all!

_____

;)

sounds good!

I see no problem with pigloos as long as you keep the cage clean. They could have more circulation yes, but sometimes my piggies just want to hide. I have some pigloos as well as little wooden huts (they resemble tiny arches), and a cozie. Those hideys sound fine. Pigs like places to feel safe and be able to call their own, so I wouldn't worry about how much time they spend sitting under their huts. My two younger boys were a lot more active and preferred lounging outside the huts, but my older boar just liked to laze about in his pigloo all day. I had a separate piece of fleece under it so I could clean it out more often than the rest of the cage.

Can we see a pig-ture?

Zuidy, those houses sound fine. If they can get on top of them, and if they pee and poop there, then you might make some small fleece pads to put on the top. They'll protect the wood, which will eventually get pretty smelly.

Zuidy, those houses sound fine. If they can get on top of them, and if they pee and poop there, then you might make some small fleece pads to put on the top. They'll protect the wood, which will eventually get pretty smelly.

You know I've never though of putting fleece on top of the spoil-able hidey huts. One of my rainbow twig arches I had to throw out because one of my pigs preferred to sit on it rather than under it. I'll try that the next time they chose to perch atop one of their huts.

I put those pads on top of my step stool hideys, because there are holes in the step and I didn't want one pig peeing on the other. It worked so well that I also put one on their fiddlesticks hidey, and now they won't get on top of it unless the pad is there.

I see no problem with pigloos as long as you keep the cage clean. They could have more circulation yes, but sometimes my piggies just want to hide. I have some pigloos as well as little wooden huts (they resemble tiny arches), and a cozie. Those hideys sound fine. Pigs like places to feel safe and be able to call their own, so I wouldn't worry about how much time they spend sitting under their huts. My two younger boys were a lot more active and preferred lounging outside the huts, but my older boar just liked to laze about in his pigloo all day. I had a separate piece of fleece under it so I could clean it out more often than the rest of the cage.

Thanks! Good to know somebody else has experienced the same behavior. Good to know, good to know.

Can we see a pig-ture?

Sure, if it'll help get the idea of my hideys. I am going to do a bunch of uploads soon, as I haven't uploaded ANY pictures yet and I have had my Piggies for 3 months now.

That's just it...... I kinda want them to be able to get on top. I can tell that they want to, because they (more specifically Big Sis') always stand on their hind legs and put their front ones on the house. I already have the hideys and don't really want to get a step stool one (my grandpa worked hard at these houses for me for Christmas, and it was all he could get me, so it would be kinda a slap in the face to him if I got a different bunch of houses) so that isn't an option. One time, I heard some rustling while I was spot cleaning their cage, and I turned my head to see Big' Sis' on top of the house. So, I know they want to. That being said, I kind of WANT them to be able to get on top. (my cages are secure, to let you know) I have Fiddlesticks, but I like using that as a hidey as well... so that won't be an option for a step to get up. Now, how can I make a step for them to get up on top? Something wooden would work, correct? I WOULD use the Fiddlesticks, but they would rather use them as a stepping stool, so I keep them bent as a hidey, not low to the ground. So, what should I use?

Thanks again, all! Six replies...... wasn't expecting that much. But thanks! Love replies!

:)

what did you use to hold it together?

what did you use to hold it together?

As far as I can see, my grandpa used a few thin nails going directly through the four corners of the hidey's top, connecting it with all four walls.

Your houses sound great. I also made solid wood houses and I would prefer my girls to nibble on wood rather than plastic. I have two houses, one on each side of the cage, and each house has an entrance/exit on three sides. Sometimes when I put Abbey back in the cage first so I can give Zoe cuddle time, she starts running laps around the outside edge of the cage. She goes in one door of the house, out the other, along the back and through the other house and along the front. Sometimes she will do three or four laps before settling down, so having more than one entrance in the houses seems to allow my girls more opportunity for exercise.

All of my houses are wood based (2 are home made- one has a ramp, the other has one partial wall and rounded edges, they call all be sat on). I've never had any issue with the wood houses, though apparently they can be troublesome to disinfect if your pigs get a fungal infection and may pose a re-infection risk. Those seem pretty rare though, especially if you keep the cage clean and keep them away from potential sources of infection (like un-quarantined/foreign pigs).

My one piggy almost never uses his house in the conventional way. He loves to sleep on top of it so i've got a small folded peice of fleece up there for him. He's a very clean pig though so I almost never find it soiled at all, maybe just an accidental poop or two. Otherwise i find him sleeping in his food/bathroom box, on a brick, next to the food box or in little fleece nests he makes in the uncovered corners. He's always preferred sleeping in the open.

Sounds great! Make sure there are no sharp corners or icky dampness on the bottoms of the hideys.
I had one of these wood hideys for a while and LOVED it! But when a pig passes (I always have single males), you gotta get rid of the wood hidey because I don't think they are very easily sanitized.

The big question I have for you, Zuidy, is WHERE DID YOU GET THEM? :eek:hmy:
I want one.

Last edited:
But when a pig passes (I always have single males), you gotta get rid of the wood hidey because I don't think they are very easily sanitized.

I want one.

You likely do not HAVE to get rid of the houses- it'd depend on the style of death of the animal. If the animal died of a contagious, persistent, disease it may be worth disposing the house, especially if you intend to immediately get more. However, many reasons for death are not contagious and of those that are contagious many are not surface persistent if you are to disinfect and store your house for a while.
ie. if your pet died from a genetic issue (say a lethal, heart defect etc) its not contagious, heat stroke, cancer, eating something it shouldn't, etc these are not related to infectious disease and so the houses should not be problematic after a normal disinfection.
Parasites cannot live for long outside of a host and likely wouldn't be deep into the wood of a house even in a more persistent state and should be able to be removed by normal disinfection.
Likewise, most bacteria are susceptible to bleach as well as desiccation (being dried out) and likely wouldn't be get far into the wood product. Many viruses also cannot remain viable in dry environment either.

If the pig died of a fungal infection however this may warrant the disposal of the house because fungus can get further into the wood and may form spores which can be hard to kill.

You really only have to get rid of wood items in the cage if you have a fungus. Pretty much everything else can be sanitized.

I want one.

Where did I get my hideys? I have said at a few places in this thread that they are home made by my Grandpa. Maybe we could make a business out of it, eh? Haha.

Where did I get my hideys? I have said at a few places in this thread that they are home made by my Grandpa. Maybe we could make a business out of it, eh? Haha.
Darn. I have been looking for one everywhere.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.