Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Are LM farms hay and pellets good?

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I have been using LM farm products for my Guinea Pig Timothy Hay and their plain pellets for Gps. Anyone else use this brand?

There are 4 brands of pellets that are recommended: KM Hayloft, Oxbow, Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664. The Mazuri pellets are alfalfa based so they should be fed no more than 1/8 cup a day while the timothy based can be fed up to 1/4 cup a day per guinea pig. I don't know anything about LM hay but I would discontinue using their pellets and switch to one of the four brands I mentioned above.

Thanks I just found another site about them, and they are alfalfa based, and have corn, wheat and soy, so they are a no go. Time to make my order for something better.

Thanks I just found another site about them, and they are alfalfa based, and have corn, wheat and soy, so they are a no go. Time to make my order for something better.

You might be able to find Oxbow pellets locally. I order KM pellets online. I buy 25 lbs at a time. Per pound, it's cheaper than Oxbow and my guinea pigs like them better than Oxbow.

You might be able to find Oxbow pellets locally. I order KM pellets online. I buy 25 lbs at a time. Per pound, it's cheaper than Oxbow and my guinea pigs like them better than Oxbow.
I just was looking at their website and I am going to order both pellets and hay from there next week. I'll just throw out the other pellets for the birds or something, they have really good prices.

I buy Kaytee timothy Complete guinea pig food. My pigs wont eat oxbow or anything else because when I adopted them they were fed Timothy Complete and they will stop eating if I try to mix in another brand

Kaytee is low quality food. Not worth much more than the bag it's packaged in. Good quality pellets should have a tint of green because of the fresh hay it's made from. Kaytee pellets are brown, which should tell you the quality of hay that goes into it.

I buy Kaytee timothy Complete guinea pig food. My pigs wont eat oxbow or anything else because when I adopted them they were fed Timothy Complete and they will stop eating if I try to mix in another brand

I keep hearing you're supposed to mix in the new stuff gradually, but that honestly didn't work for my first pigs either. I got fed up and switched them cold turkey and they started eating it after only one day of objection.

Yeah since Charlie is having babies, I will have to order a bag of alfalfa based hay and pellets as well as timothy based. It will be interesting trying to get charlie to eat seperate food from the babies, but I figure the first week I'll just stick with Alfalfa and then offer both.

Pregnant sows can have alfalfa too. It's those special needs types (young pigs, expectant mothers, etc) that need the extra calcium

@CavyMama thanks! Do you know what the difference is between 1st,2nd, and 3rd cuts?

The cuts refer to when in the year the hay was harvested. 1st cut was harvested earliest, 2nd cut came next, then 3rd cut.
This will give you a description of each type of hay: (broken link removed)

I personally love the 3rd cut. It's so fresh, soft, lush and green. You can wrap it around your finger, as opposed to the store-bought Kaytee that will snap in half if you try to bend it.

The cuts refer to when in the year the hay was harvested. 1st cut was harvested earliest, 2nd cut came next, then 3rd cut.
This will give you a description of each type of hay: (broken link removed)

I personally love the 3rd cut. It's so fresh, soft, lush and green. You can wrap it around your finger, as opposed to the store-bought Kaytee that will snap in half if you try to bend it.
Thanks! I will probably go with the 3rd cut then :)

You (and your pigs) will love it! You'll be amazed at how fresh and green it is.

The problem is I tried switching them to Oxbow, KMS. And they just wont eat it. They went 2 days without eating pellets and I got worried about not getting their vitamin c so I switched them back to Kaytee. They would only eat their veggies and hay. My pigs are so stubborn! Do you guys reccomend the oxbow or kms pellets more? I am going to try to switch them again

The problem is I tried switching them to Oxbow, KMS. And they just wont eat it. They went 2 days without eating pellets and I got worried about not getting their vitamin c so I switched them back to Kaytee. They would only eat their veggies and hay. My pigs are so stubborn! Do you guys reccomend the oxbow or kms pellets more? I am going to try to switch them again
Mine did the same thing, I just stuck with Oxbow and after a little over a week mine started eating the pellets. I just switched to KMS pellets and did not even mix any oxbow in, with in 10 min of the KMS being in there they started eating it. The way I look at it, I would rather them eat hay and veggies, and me give a little tiny extra pepper then have them eat pellets that are cruddy.Pellets are the least important part of their diet.

@(broken link removed) If you go with KMS you will not be disappointed, it is wonderful. I just got my first order and it is AMAZING, both pellets and hay. I got 25# of 3rd and 5# of second; I highly recommend the 3rd cut, it is so soft and green though it does have a little brown, it is AMAZING. The 2nd is also really great, but the 3rd is so soft. I like the pellets as well, there is not as much of an odor to my nose as even oxbow has, idk why but it just smells clean to me. lol

Pellets are the least important part of a pig's diet. Some people have started looking into a pellet free diet. If they get their needed nutrients from veggies, not getting pellets is not a big problem.

Alright thanks. I am going to try switching to kms again

I don't feed the pellets but my guys LOVE the LM hay. The last several bags I have gotten have been fantastic and they snarf up every bite. The KayTee hay, not so much and it's so stemmy sometimes they waste a lot!

Add the fact that Tractor Supply has the hay on sale right now for $4.99 a big bag and I'm tickled! I have three bags and will pick up more on Friday (payday) since the sale ends Apr 30th.

I don't feed the pellets but my guys LOVE the LM hay. The last several bags I have gotten have been fantastic and they snarf up every bite. The KayTee hay, not so much and it's so stemmy sometimes they waste a lot!

Add the fact that Tractor Supply has the hay on sale right now for $4.99 a big bag and I'm tickled! I have three bags and will pick up more on Friday (payday) since the sale ends Apr 30th.
I do like the hay, and she eat it, I want to try the KMS tho just to see if she likes it more!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.