Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Are CookinPellets brand safe?

SherriA1

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I am a new piggie mommy, going to pick up my two bonded piggies from the rescue tomorrow. After much research on bedding options, I have decided to go with a layer of fleece with wood pellets underneath. I ordered "Premium Cookinpellets.com" barbecue pellets from Amazon, and I want to make sure they are safe wood pellets for my piggies. They are hardwood so I felt safe that I was avoided pine entirely, but now that they've arrived they say "not for human consumption and not for use indoors." The "not for use indoors" makes me worry, but I'm not sure why it says that. It says "Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple, Apple. Awesome flavor, smooth finish. 100% hardwood, no fillers. No oak or alder." Since it says "100% hardwood, no fillers," I assume it has no additives or accelerants. Any thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not only are barbecue pellets extremely expensive, but the shipping makes them even more so.

The ban on using them indoors is that it's unsafe to have a fire indoors, regardless of what the pellets are made of.

No fillers does not mean no additives or accelerants -- you'd have to write the company to find out if the pellets are treated with accelerants.

What you want is the pellets used for horse stall bedding. I get a 40 pound bag for $7-$8 at a local feed store. You do have to check to make sure they don't have a strong pine odor.

SherriA1

Cavy Slave
Thank you! When it's time for me to change the pellets, I'll look for the horse stall bedding. Since I already have these pellets for now, it sounds like all I have to do is to talk to the company to make sure there are no additives or accelerants. Correct?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Right.

And pellets will last a LONG time. I have a large cage, and it takes two 40 pound bags to fill it. But all I have to do is occasionally stir them. It's probably been six months or more since I've done a complete pellet replacement.

SherriA1

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I just heard back from the company, and the pellets are free of accelerants or additives. What a relief! So I have safe (albeit expensive!) pellets ready for my new friends. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on where she is. My Lowe's store doesn't carry them.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Well that sucks :sad:. I had a friend who went to look in her local Lowe's and they told her they didn't have them, but they did. Because it was during the summer months, they had them stored on a shelf way up high, and the shop assistant told her they didn't have them because he was too lazy to get the fork lift to get them down.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lowe's doesn't carry them here because we have so little winter they're not really needed.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Ohhhh I see! good that you have little winter, but sucks cause you can't buy them there :sad:.