Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Are All baby guinea pigs this noisy?!

cynpz

Cavy Slave
Ive had Gibson for about 3 weeks, and he is now 6 weeks old. Him and Ritz (who is 1 year old) are getting along very well, but Gibson cries (wheeks) so much! He gobbles up the food and cries when its gone. or if the bowl is empty, he cries for some! or if i say anything to them or someone else around, he goes nuts wheeking again! i dont want to be feeding him because he cries for food! i was doing the same feeding routine as i had been doing before i got Gibson and he was fine, but lately(about 3 days now) ive been giving them a bit more food throughout the day because he is so loud and for so long! do baby guinea pigs require more food? or is it normal for him to be so loud so often? :/

Last edited:
Well, babies generally need to be fed more frequently than adults, no matter what the species.

Are you keeping hay down for them all the time? And he should be getting at least 1/8 cup of pellets per day just for him alone. How often are you feeding veggies, and in what quantities?

yes there is Always hay! i do give them Each 1/8 of pellets in two separate bowls but they eat from both. and again, he cries when its gone. and im worried about Ritz eating too much. they eat a variety of veggies twice a day. id say about 2 handfulls to share, and Gibs is keeping up with Ritz during veggie time, so he gets a fair share and i usually separate a small amount for him anyway, just in case ritz hogs it. :/ im looking into getting a bigger hay rack today so that he wont have to wait for me to refill it and maybe that'll help when his pellets are all gone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.