Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are abbysinians hard to take care of?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
do they require lots of grooming? bathing? cutting? brushings?

how does their grooming care compare with americans and peruvians.

loves2travel said:
do they require lots of grooming? bathing? cutting? brushings?

how does their grooming care compare with americans and peruvians.
I don't even brush mine except like once a month or so. And I definantly don't cut his hair. He gets bathes every three months or so...... Why? (just curious)

there is a lady near me who has to give away her nine abysinians (!) because of landlord issues, and i was thinking if this could be an option. her listing is on petfiner.

Abys are short-haired. They just have a bit rougher hair and little whorls. They're the same as any other shorthair pig.

loves2travel said:
there is a lady near me who has to give away her nine abysinians (!) because of landlord issues, and i was thinking if this could be an option. her listing is on petfiner.
cool sounds like you may have found some cantidates. Make sure they are really girls first and that they don't have mites etc. I would take them to the vet as soon as you got them. Simply because you don't know where they came from etc.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I think you might have been thinking about peruvians...they have the long hair. I have an abby and she's super cute, the sweetest girl (one of my new ones) and she doesn't take any more care than my others.

CavyCrazyMom said:
I think you might have been thinking about peruvians...they have the long hair. I have an abby and she's super cute, the sweetest girl (one of my new ones) and she doesn't take any more care than my others.
are your others american and english?

umm...I think they're americans (two of them)...I don't remember the difference. And the other is a golden agouti crested. She's pretty cool looking.

do all of you wash your short haired pigs at all? i know some who never do, some who do it monthly.

I plan on doing it when I introduce my pigs together, I think that would be the best thing for them to get along. I'm going to change and wash everything that has to do with the cage, and before I put them back I'm going to throw them all in the tube and bathe them, that way they all smell the same and they're too worried about what's happening to fight. I forget where I got that tip from. And then I'll put them on the floor together in my floor time cage and see what happens before I put them in the cage. I'm hoping to get new coroplast to expand the cage, that way the ones that are in there now will think it's a different cage too...see what I mean??

does anyone do it on a regular basis?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
My abby seems normal to take care of......her hair isn't super long, it just stands up funny at different parts.

I bathe mine about once a month, only because of allergies and they love to walk around in the poop. Charlie gets a bath whenever he decides to sit right in a puddle of pee on newspaper during floor time. He does this frequently!!! If there's no smell or allergy problem, I'd go with once a year unless they get really filthy. Technically, you never have to bathe them.

is charlie long haired?

English is self-crested, where the crest is the same color as the body. American is where the crest is white. You should not bathe your pigs more than once or twice a year unless it is part of a treatment. It dries out their skin and takes out natural oils.

abys aren't too hard to take care of, just brush them once a week with a baby brush or a flea comb.

I once had an abby...(HE WAS SOOO CUTE!!!) when i got him i don't think he'd EVER been bathed even though he was 3, and his underside was pretty smellly. I didn't know about giving bathes and then he was gone so quickly. :(

So, basically, I'd say... just make sure you give him regular (even if far apart) bathes, and have fun pettting him around all his little whorls and rosettes. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.