Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos Archie - I caved for THIS cavy

inky rose

Cavy Slave
Meet Archie,

[GuineaPigCages.com] Archie - I caved for THIS cavy
He is a young boar and came home today (about eight weeks old)

I fell in love with him a couple of weeks ago when I first saw him and watched him poking about his enclosure.:love::love::love::love::love:
But alas he was a petstore pig (an independant country petstore, who keep their animals well and stock more small animal products than most, but still a pet store). I have since found a pet food shop that is purely fodder- it's going to be far easier to maintain my resolve. They sell Hay in bales or bag it infront of you.

Anyway back to archie. I've been thinking about him alot :crazy:

Today I caved.

He is so adorable and will eat from my hand. He is keen to explore and will lick my hand when held.

Currently Archie is in quarantine, but after this period I will be following the cavy spirit social page suggestions when trying to introduce him to my boys (5 month olds). I'm going to start with play date meetings in neutral territory and will go from there. If it's not looking hopeful, I'll start looking for a suitable companion for him.

Wow that is one cute piggy .. lord my husband would fall inlove with him ..hehe

To cute!! Have fun with the intros!!

love his coloring very cute piggie.

I love the red patch over his left eye, my baby girl has pretty much that exact same marking. He sounds like he's gonna grow up to be a great piggy, I love when they are friendly babies. :)
Good luck with intros and enjoy little Archie.

He is extremely adorable!!

He is the sweetest!!!!!

I love the name Archie! He looks so soft...I wish I could pet him through the screen!

He's very cute!
My doggie is named Archie :D

he is so cute and i love how you set this post up. :D hope all is well with the intro

Thankyou everyone, especially for the well wishes regarding introductions. I'm hopeful- but not at all confident. I figure he and Bernard should get along okay (fingers crossed) as they are both fairly laid back looking. I'm a bit worried about Howard as he can be moody especially at the moment. I'm going to take it very

Oh one more thing a friend commented "nice dutch" when they saw him, is he a dutch or a straight tri-colour, I wasnt sure if you can have tri-colour dutches

He is adorable. I am sorry you caved in and bought a guinea pig from a pet store. You are aware that this is a rescue oriented board, right?

Yes I am aware that this is a rescue oriented board and I am in no way singing the praises of petshops (other than the shop I have found near me that only sells feed) or suggesting people should buy from them. I broke my own resolve on this one. I just wanted to introduce my new boy and am sorry if I have offended.

Congrats! So cute :)

Don't apologise to us.

Apologise to the pig at the RSPCA, or Keysborough, or Lort Smith, or the Australian Cavy Sanctuary Melbourne or any of the other dozens of guinea pigs on gumtree or trading post needing a home (rough calculation, there around 250 known homeless guinea pigs in Melbourne) that will continue to sit there now.

Sorry if that's harsh, but that's the reality.

Your new guinea pig is beautiful, what a sweet face, good luck with him :)

Congrats on your new piggie. ALL guinea pigs need good homes whether they are at shelters/rescues or pet stores. It's not their fault that they are in pet stores and to refuse to give a pet store piggie a good home because he/she ended up in a pet store is ridiculous. It's great to rescue a pig when that works out but it's not always the right option for everyone.

Don't apologise to us.

Apologise to the pig at the RSPCA, or Keysborough, or Lort Smith, or the Australian Cavy Sanctuary Melbourne or any of the other dozens of guinea pigs on gumtree or trading post needing a home (rough calculation, there around 250 known homeless guinea pigs in Melbourne) that will continue to sit there now.

Sorry if that's harsh, but that's the reality.

Aertyn, I think your being a little bit harsh.

This is also that same board that says 'don't ya know push newcomers about buying a petstore pigL. So she got it from a petstore. OK. I don't like having to get pigs from a petstore either, but hey, I think she should look at it as at least he will have a happy life from the get go and not have to sit in some child's room neglected with no food until the parent takes it to the shelter or a rescue group.

She got him from a Petstore and thats her choosing. But don't hash her about it.

Congrats on your new piggie. ALL guinea pigs need good homes whether they are at shelters/rescues or pet stores. It's not their fault that they are in pet stores and to refuse to give a pet store piggie a good home because he/she ended up in a pet store is ridiculous. It's great to rescue a pig when that works out but it's not always the right option for everyone.

I don't want to contribute to the continuation of this topic, but I think I need to shed some light on your post.

It's not the pigs fault for being in a pet store, true. However, by buying them from there it's encouraging pigs to end up in that situation in the first place. So it's not their fault they're there, it's yours.

So when you see that cute little guy in the store, think about his mother's life being risked every time she is bred. Think about all the babies being produced that may go to irresponsible, uneducated owners. You're funding that mess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.