Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Anyone have a guess at what Sheldon is?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So, I adopted my neutered boar, Sheldon, a few weeks ago. I have no idea what breed he is! He's really scared of the camera, but I finally got some decent pictures of him a few minutes ago. I thought I would post here to see if anyone knew what he could be. Is he just a long haired American? He also has a silly sticky-uppy ridgey thing on his back and long, flowing bum hair. His fur is so soft!
Anyone have a guess at what he is, other than cute? He must be a mix of things, since he doesn't look like any pure-breed that I know of. Thanks for any replies!

I'll also throw in a picture of of his wife, Penny (I know she's an abby), just because she's adorable too! :heart:

Please excuse Sheldon's nails. They were so long when I adopted him, so they are a work in progress to get them back to a decent length.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
He looks like a Marked Guinea Pig. They generally have rosettes, or whorls of hair, spread around the body just like an Abyssinian would, but they don't have as long of hair.

This is coming from a book I read about Guinea Pigs, written by a professional Guinea Pig behavioral analyst from Germany.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Hmm... Never heard of that before. Will have to do some research!

ETA: The top pic is of Penny. The bottom 2 are of Sheldon. He doesn't have whorls, just a sticky up ridge.

pinky

Cavy Slave
He looks like a silkie to me.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
He looks like a silkie to me.

He does look silkie-ish, but he couldn't be full silkie, could he? His hair is not as long and thick as the pictures I've seen of silkies.

cavy_butler

Cavy Slave
Looks like a ridgeback to me, not sure if your aware of the breed but its starting up here in aussie.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Looks like a ridgeback to me, not sure if your aware of the breed but its starting up here in aussie.

Yes, I was wondering if he was a ridgeback too. I'm just not sure! Usually I'm pretty good with breeds, but I have no idea with Shelly!

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
The way his hair grows back away from his face is like a silkie. Is his hair trimmed or is that the natural length? I have seen silkie and American shorthair crosses that look similar, essentially a medium-haired silkie. I don't know the result of a silkie-abby mix, but with the random rosette on his back, that might be a good guess. I definitely think the predominant traits are silkie.

Have he and Penny been getting along? I remember your earlier posts when you were picking him up, and certainly hope things are going well. He certainly is the lovely guy. :)

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
aaawww they are so adorable!!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=17779]cavy_jdas[/MENTION], thanks for the reply!! That's his natural length. He very well could be a silkie-American cross, maybe some abby in there too! His hair is very soft, especially the hair on his chest.

He and Penny are doing very well together, thanks! They are getting along swimmingly. This weekend was a bit rough because Penny was in heat. :melodrama I think you probably know how that went. :rolleyes:
Other than that, it's been great!

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Yes, I was wondering if he was a ridgeback too. I'm just not sure! Usually I'm pretty good with breeds, but I have no idea with Shelly!

Huh, had never heard of a ridgeback. Just googled it. I didn't see any longer hair ones, and the ridge looks to be the entire back. I wouldn't think he's a ridgeback, and would still strongly lean towards silkie mix, with the whirl on his back being just an unusual outcome. His face just says silkie to me.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Yes, I've only ever seen short haired ridgebacks, too!
Hum... I really do think there is silkie in there too, [MENTION=17779]cavy_jdas[/MENTION]!

pinky

Cavy Slave
He does look silkie-ish, but he couldn't be full silkie, could he? His hair is not as long and thick as the pictures I've seen of silkies.

He could have some other breed mixed in. I don't think he has abby mixed in. Have you bathed him to see how his hair sits naturally?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hmm... Never heard of that before. Will have to do some research!

ETA: The top pic is of Penny. The bottom 2 are of Sheldon. He doesn't have whorls, just a sticky up ridge.

That would have been nice to know! Haha.

Nevermind.

He looks like a sheltie? Sheltie/silky is what he looks like to me.

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
My piggy is a ridgeback (well, she looks like one) and I really think that he is part ridgeback, part silky. But thats only from looking at pics of silkies, but everyone thinks something similar.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
That would have been nice to know! Haha.

Nevermind.

He looks like a sheltie? Sheltie/silky is what he looks like to me.

Sorry! Since I said Penny was the abby I just thought people would assume she was the picture of the abby! :p

ellisa

Cavy Slave
He could have some other breed mixed in. I don't think he has abby mixed in. Have you bathed him to see how his hair sits naturally?

Yes, he's had a bath and that's how his hair is. He must have silkie in him, since his hair slicked back like silkie hair.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!! :D

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Sorry! Since I said Penny was the abby I just thought people would assume she was the picture of the abby! :p

Kinda hard to tell she is an Abby. She doesn't have that long of hair?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
@Zuidy Abbys have rosettes and whorls all over their body. Penny mostly has her whorls on her bum so it makes her look like she's wearing a ballet tutu! haha

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
could he be part ridgeback?