Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Anyone buy fleece from Hobby Lobby?

sakee

Cavy Slave
I don't see many reviews there. I'd like to know if it pills or not. I read on Joann Fabrics site that theirs does pill a lot and has a harsh factory/chemical smell

Can't help with the Hobby Lobby question, I don't think my local one even sells fleece. But all of my fleece is Joann's and I've never had any problems with it. It doesn't have a harsh smell at all, it smell a little chemically if you shove your nose in it when you first buy it, but that's it. It hasn't pilled yet, and they have sales on fleece all the time.

thanks for the feedback, is any of your fleece their blizzard fleece? They have nice prices on that right now $4/yard

Oooh, I LOVE Hobby Lobby! I get a lot of my fleece from there, actually. I haven't had any issues with pilling, except on the cheaper solid colors. However I think that was mostly my fault for beating it up too much :p My first run with fleece was that, and then I switched to this colorful orange/purple/yellow/green tiger-stripe like one. It's held up wonderfully.

And the blizzard fleece is a good choice as well, I believe it's just a little thicker is all.

Oooh, I LOVE Hobby Lobby! I get a lot of my fleece from there, actually. I haven't had any issues with pilling, except on the cheaper solid colors. However I think that was mostly my fault for beating it up too much :p My first run with fleece was that, and then I switched to this colorful orange/purple/yellow/green tiger-stripe like one. It's held up wonderfully.

And the blizzard fleece is a good choice as well, I believe it's just a little thicker is all.
I just discovered their I Love This Yarn, so I will probably be ordering from there again, but it's hard to beat $4/yard right now if Joanns is nice
What do you both use as the layer underneath and how often do you change it

I use this as my bedding beneath the fleece (I sew mine together, but you don't have to):(broken link removed) it needs to be washed a couple times on hot before hand, as it does have a tendency to shrink on me, leaving me with lumpy fleece (trial and error). The fleece should also be washed a couple times to make sure it whisks away fluid rather than let it sit on top. The U-haul pad is HUGE (So you can make multiples) and very cheap. I do spot-cleaning every day for stray poops, and wash the fleece/pad combo once a week.

I buy mine from Joann. I have both hobby lobby and Joann. I like Joann better- it is cheaper in my opinoin.

That looks great and I love that it is recycled. Do you notice any smell with this combo only washing it once a week?

I buy mine from Joann. I have both hobby lobby and Joann. I like Joann better- it is cheaper in my opinoin.
Thank you for the comparision, I'm going with Joann then I think

That looks great and I love that it is recycled. Do you notice any smell with this combo only washing it once a week?

Even with two boars, I haven't noticed much of a smell at all. My boys also use a litter pan though, so most of the pee and poops are collected into a small area. It's a lot of fun to put together and makes the cage look so much more personal and professional.

I buy all of my fleece from Hobby Lobby!! It holds up and is still soft even after using the fleece over a year now.

I even buy the fleece that's on sale and it's great.

Just wanted to post that both Joann and Hobby Lobby hace 40% coupons right now that you can print or use online for one item. They both say one cut of fabric is considered one item. The HL one is for 6/24 - 6/30 (broken link removed) , Joann is through 6/29 and the code is JUN181 for online. I got the HL one through their newsletter

I just bought some fleece at Hobby Lobby today. I am going to wash them 2-3 times then make bedding with mattress padding as the liner. Will post in a few days how it turns out.

As much as I truly adore Hobby Lobby, I've only used their fleece once, and it was for a beadspread for my brother. I know his fleece pilled up , but it's been washed once a week for three or four years now, and none of the pills are pulling up and off at the touch. I'm not sure how it would take to rigorous washing, though.
On the upside, though, their fleeces are ALL adorable!

I primarily buy my fleece from JoAnn's, but recently discovered YourFleece.com who carries a lot of Anti-Pill.

I have bought Hobby Lobby fleece in the past, and have been less than thrilled with their solid fleece. I do believe it's polar? if I'm not mistaken, but its so thin and stretchy. Same goes for the solid fleece at Walmart. I do not like using it, but sometimes they've the only matching color for a pattern I might be working with.

I actually prefer the Blizzard at JoAnn's as it is sturdier. I especially like using it for Snugglie Bags because the opening stays, well, open more. Many of Hobby Lobby's patterns are also carried at JoAnn's, who usually has the better deal when it comes to sales, you just have to watch the ads.

Who has the cheapest fleece and uhaul pads? Hobby Lobby or Joann's?

Sometimes, I mainly go to a small business fabric shop that has a bigger selection with nicer prints. Hobbylobby never has more then 15 or so types of fleece and most of them are ugly. I do go to Joann's too, they have a HUGE selection! I've heard that some Joann's can be snobby about using fabric for small animals sometimes but mostly it's sweet grannys who like talking to people.

Who has the cheapest fleece and uhaul pads? Hobby Lobby or Joann's?

Joann's has great sales but you have to be careful, some prints are really pricy and are almost never included in sales. (Mostly it's trademarked characters and sports teams fleece that ~$12 a yard.) If you wait for sales you can get cute flower/animal/baby prints for cheaper. Also, their super sales are amazing(a steal when they're clearing stock for new stuff.) But, you can spend A LOT of money at Joann's and not realize it until you're checking out. Last time I went it was for my ratties(RIP), I dropped like $150. 0.o

As for Hobbylobby, I don't really know. They have a really bad selection of fleece so I don't ever go there for fabric.

Thank you. Do pet stores sell fleece?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.