Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anybody shop here?

Taboo

Cavy Slave
I know lots of people on a rat forum who use Joanne's fleece.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, Joanne Fabrics is a great place to find tons of different patterns and styles of fleece. I bought my fleece there and I know many on here who have as well.

ProudPiggyOwner

Cavy Slave
Cool im going to order that soon. I know there is a certain way you wash it. Is their a link that I can get instructions off of?.Thanks much

DIGGYDI

Cavy Slave
Hi, I also buy from Joanne Fabrics. However, I don't have to order. There is a store not too far from where I live. I head straight for the remnants area first. Sometimes, I can find fleece at much cheaper prices.

ProudPiggyOwner

Cavy Slave
I read that. Thanks for linking me. I have a few more questions about fleece. Should I post them in a seperate thread or should I Post them in here? Thanks

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I think I'm going to order from it. But, whats with all the pill fleece and stuff?

ProudPiggyOwner

Cavy Slave
A few questions before I purchase fleece
What should I put under it? (I heard of people using towels. But what do you normally use?)
Is it true that you need something to hold it down? (I know people use a brick and that also helps with a cavy's nails. Does it matter what kind of brick?)
What is pill fleece?
Thanks I will post again if I have more questions.

ProudPiggyOwner

Cavy Slave
Can someone please amswer before I order? Thanks

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
A few questions before I purchase fleece
What should I put under it? (I heard of people using towels. But what do you normally use?)
Is it true that you need something to hold it down? (I know people use a brick and that also helps with a cavy's nails. Does it matter what kind of brick?)
What is pill fleece?
Thanks I will post again if I have more questions.
I prefer using a mattress pad under my fleece. I've tried towels, but I find they smell faster and don't really dry. I think my piggies find mattress pads a lot cozier, too.
I don't use anything to hold down my fleece. I just make sure the fleece I'm using is cut to be bigger than the cage dimensions, and I tuck it under.
I have no idea what pill fleece is, sorry. I guess it's the opposite of anti pill, lol.

ProudPiggyOwner

Cavy Slave
Thanks much. Can anyone else help?

Bennalaya

Cavy Slave
1. Anti-pill fleece is exactly as the name implies - it is specially woven to prevent it from pilling (those little balls of fluff that form on fleecy fabrics after wear and wash). It's usually more expensive than standard fleece. I'm not familiar with pill fleece, but I'm assuming that if it isn't specifically labeled as "anti-pill" fabric that, over time, it will pill.

2. I put disposable puppy training pads under my fleece.

3. I use binder clips around the tops of the coroplast sides to keep the fleece from slipping and bunching up.

4. I keep a small paver stone under Abby's water bottle. It serves three purposes. a) it collects the water drips b) it helps Abby's front nails c) it holds down the fabric that tends to collect in only one corner of my cage. I swear, it doesn't matter how much I lay it out trying to get it even I end up with more slack in one corner than the other three.

You can purchase small paver stones (like the type you'd buy to make a brick sidewalk) at the local home improvement store or a retailer that specializes in landscaping materials.

ProudPiggyOwner

Cavy Slave
I ordered anti pill fleece. I can't wait. I also ordered a 2x5 cage also