Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Anya

Anya&Dex

Cavy Slave
Hey! I have a question :)
Ive had four piggies, two of which are now angels. I have one who is four, his name is Dex and hes a lazy bum. I try SO hard to get him active but hes terrified of toys and too lazy to run around. I got a new piggle yesterday (Anya) and dont want her to lay around all day. She is really young (less than a year) so I want advice on starting to get her to be active. She seems even more skittish than Dex so im a bit worried! any help would be so nice!!

Thank you!
Anya&Dex

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you have them together, as your picture seems to suggest, please separate them immediately unless one or the other has been neutered. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high. Additionally, guinea pigs are subject to genetic diseases, some of which cause lifelong pain, others deformity and death. Please do NOT breed your pigs.

Patience is the key when getting to know a guinea pig. I'm sure others will weigh in on specific tips on how to do it. You can also read the stickies in the forums for lots of good information.

Anya&Dex

Cavy Slave
Dex and Anya can only see eachother through cage walls, I know the dangers of breeding guineas, but thank you for your concern. Only Anya is in that picture. I am taking my time to get to know Anya. Thank you for responding
If you have them together, as your picture seems to suggest, please separate them immediately unless one or the other has been neutered. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high. Additionally, guinea pigs are subject to genetic diseases, some of which cause lifelong pain, others deformity and death. Please do NOT breed your pigs.

Patience is the key when getting to know a guinea pig. I'm sure others will weigh in on specific tips on how to do it. You can also read the stickies in the forums for lots of good information.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
They may not run around the cage, but there are activities that will get them moving.

One is to buy a wiffle ball or a cat treat ball and put cut up pieces of carrot and bell pepper inside. They will learn to roll the ball around to get the veggies out.

Another is a snuffle mat. I have one made from strips of fleece that looks like a small rag rug. I hide fresh grass, veggies, or corn husk under the strips of fleece and my pig digs to get the treats.

I also rearrange the cage each day so the food and hides are in a different place. Guinea pigs memorize escape routes and locations of food and water, so this is good mental stimulation for them to explore the new arrangement.

Anya&Dex

Cavy Slave
They may not run around the cage, but there are activities that will get them moving.

One is to buy a wiffle ball or a cat treat ball and put cut up pieces of carrot and bell pepper inside. They will learn to roll the ball around to get the veggies out.

Another is a snuffle mat. I have one made from strips of fleece that looks like a small rag rug. I hide fresh grass, veggies, or corn husk under the strips of fleece and my pig digs to get the treats.

I also rearrange the cage each day so the food and hides are in a different place. Guinea pigs memorize escape routes and locations of food and water, so this is good mental stimulation for them to explore the new arrangement.
Ooh those are really good ideas thank you!