Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any idea why he died?

Blaykrs

Cavy Slave
One month to the day that I got my first pig, I took him outside for awhile. From everything I read and seen, I should have been able to put him in the grass. Well, a few hours later, his tummy got big and he couldn't breath well. I held him until he died. What did I do wrong?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh my! I have never heard of something like that happening... I'm really sorry.

Sara'spets
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Before you put your GP on the grass did you ever feed it fresh veggies?

It sounds like your GP got Gastric Dilitation Volvulous(Bloat) it's an emergency condition where the stomach fills with gas and can rotate. The rotation of the stomach cuts off blood supply to the internal organs, keeps any gas from passing and if not treated immediatly with surgery (the only option for this condition) death will result from either the stomach rupturing or toxins in the system from the dying bood deprived organs.

If your GP never had fresh veggies before, or only got them rarely it is possible that your pig got "colic" much like a horse would. The colic causes the bloat and the death. GPs cannot vomit like humans, dogs and cats can so if the only other path out is blocked by a torsion then a rupture is the only other way to relieve the pressure.

If ever anyone sees these signs in their pet be it dog, Gp or anything else you MUST get to an experianced Vet immediatly. This condition is only resolved with surgery and time is of the essence.

Blaykrs

Cavy Slave
The yard had fert. put on last June. I thought it would be ok by now. Maybe I was wrong. He got carrots and lettuce everyday. And I did give him a hand full of grass about a week before that. I took it very hard. I had always wanted a piggy.

Sara'spets

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You need to feed a pig more than lettuce and carrots. If it was iceberg that may have contributed to the problem, also, feeding carrots everyday may have, too. Carrots should only be fed 2-3 times a week.

Sounds very traumatic, I'm sorry.

onyx979

Cavy Slave
Oh my, i'm very sorry for your loss. I truely hope that now you are more knowlegable about piggies and their care you will rescue one from a shelter and give it a loving careing home.

CuteFluffyThing

Cavy Slave
You know my stance on outdoor cages , i'm porbably the only pro-outdoors in these forums. Very odd that your guineapig died from the grass. When your guineapig moves to a new enviroment , see what kind of things there are they could eat and put one of each in their cage. We did the same and they loved it , everything was gone in 5 minutes. Start with small bits , too see if anything happens and increase it every day. They will get used to fresh vegetables (very healthy for a gp btw) and they love grazing outside

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Bloat and/or gastric torsion can happen for no obvious cause. CuteFluffyThing, I fail to see how your stance on keeping guinea pigs outdoors is relevant to this discussion.

glitterbug121

Anubis

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's really strange. o_O

I haven't even got piggies yet, but I'm going to ask a question relevant to this thread, which is if piggies aren't fed vegetables or fruit, and are put out of the grass, they get bloat? o.o

glitterbug121

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
poor piggle. im sorry.

lilipution1013

Cavy Slave
Blaykrs said:
One month to the day that I got my first pig, I took him outside for awhile. From everything I read and seen, I should have been able to put him in the grass. Well, a few hours later, his tummy got big and he couldn't breath well. I held him until he died. What did I do wrong?

Sometimes droppings / urine from other animals in the neighborhood can leave behind chemicals and bacteria that are harmful to piggies. I'm so sorry to hear about your piglet. *Hugs*

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Oh my I'm so sorry
It sounds similar to what happened to my Hairy Mclairy a couple of years ago.
Checked their water - multiple bottles - in the morning, looked in at one point and noticed one completely empty, but didn't investigate as there were 2 more small ones.
Then in the afternoon I picked up H as he looked funny and within 15 minutes his tummy swelled up, it was awfull, then he very quickly was gone.
Only later I discovered the ball bearing from my "most expensive" bottle was totally missing. not in the bedding on the floor, anywhere. He'd accidentally swallowed it - how incredibly painful:(

Daisy Duke

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Or i heard if you feed your piggies crackers or bread it will expand there stomach, maybe if you would have applied a little pressure on his/her stomach it would have helped to release the gas but thats very sad, im sorry for your loss:weepy:

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Hey, salana, this is very off the topic, but do you watch invader zim?! I saw "moderator of DOOM!!" and just thought of Zim.

I am so sorry. God bless his piggle soul.

GuineaPigs4Life

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry about your loss. :sorry: I think that if there was weed killer or some type of pestusides on the grass that might of done it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.