Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Any Experience With Kaytee Clean & Cozy?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Normally I use white Carefresh, which is of course insanely expensive. At our latest stock-up trip, hubby noticed that Kaytee Clean & Cozy was cheaper, at least by his estimation. Actually, you get less but it claims on the bag to expand to three times its size vs. two times for Carefresh.

Personally, I don't think Carefresh expands at all, although I like its absorbancy and color change that makes it easier to spot clean the cages. The Kaytee stuff is white, too, but looks like smaller pieces. I haven't opened it yet, so I'd love to know if anyone has had any experience with it. I can still return it if it gets a bad rap before I open it (I still have one bag of Carefresh to use first).

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I use my bedding over a layer of newspaper. I replace any soiled paper when I spot clean, along with damp bedding, 1-2 times a day, and I've literally never had any odor while using that method with Carefresh.

You should probably just chuck the newspaper. It's not absorbant and you just end up with a wet, sloppy mess. It's not useful as an underlayer. If you are using loose paper based bedding, you don't need anything underneath.

Is there any harm to the newspaper? I've found that it catches a lot of urine, even tho' I bed with Carefresh pretty thickly in their favorite pee spots, and I replace it obsessively so it never gets sloppy/goopy.

The Clean and Cozy is wonderful! It truly does expand a great amount (The smallest bag lasts me 2 weeks of filling up litter boxes). It is also extremely soft and provides very effective odor control (better than Carefresh in my opinion). Plus, it doesn't have that dusty odor that Carefresh has.

Wow, it really does expand! It's not as easy to find the wet spots since it doesn't discolor as prominently as Carefresh, but I think I've managed to get them all. The piggies absolutely LOVE it. Borat makes a little nest in it in the back of his cage and lies there all content, and Amy's even hanging out on the cage floor rather than mostly in her cuddle cup. I hope it works as well as Carefresh because I want to keep using it just because they love it so much.

Its not very absorbent because it is like tissue paper. I tried it. I would stick to carefrsh or fleece. It does expand a lot but it doesnt help.

I noticed that the newspaper under it was more urine saturated, so that must be because of the lower absorbency. I change the newspaper out once or twice a day because I'm obsessive about odor prevention, so they're in dry quarters. If that continues, though, I might have to disappoint them and go back to Carefresh (no fleece yet since they're not in their permanent cage, as Borat has to get neutered first).

I've used carefresh, clean & cozy, and 3 different types of pressed paper pellets in our kitchen area. Clean & Cozy was my least favorite for a few reasons 1. As xXMaggieXx mentioned, it is like tissue paper and does not absorb that well. 2. It goes EVERYWHERE! It's the only bedding I've used that has ended up all over my floor (out of the cage) and the piggies tracked it across the entire 7 grid cage, up the ramp and I even found some in the loft. 3. It sticks like static sock to the piggies. Yes, it did expand from the package and yes there was virtually no dust but I used it once and gave the rest to my 9 year old niece (who can't complain about free bedding and probably doesn't care if it gets tracked and kicked everywhere). Pressed paper pellets being my favorite.

Oh also! Whenever we gave food and they dragged it around the cage the bedding gets stuck to everything! MY pigs ate some and got sick!

Thanks for the warning about the food. For the most part they eat up on their kitchen shelf, away from the paper bedding, but they do like to grab certain treats and hide with them.

I realize this thread is over a month old but I stumbled upon it and I cannot say enough about clean and cozy! It expands out better than any product I've seen out there. It has no smell to it, it doesn't discolor if changed out properly, it has no dust, its softer and you can crumble it down for desired texture. This is the best Kaytee product that has come out of the company in my opinion...if only they would save the food making to the nutritional experts...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.