Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any bug people here?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
My friend and I found this huge bug yesterday and I am trying to fingure out what it was. It was about 2 inches long and had some nifty looking pinchers on the front. It was a dark reddish brown and very shiney. It's belly was kind of a bright orange mixed in with the red-brown color. We don't think it had wings since it was trucking though the grass and did not attempt to fly when I prodded it with a stick to try and move it. ANy ideas or good websites I could go to to find it?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Some kind of beetle it sounds like. Wouldn't be able to tell you what kind.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
We thought it might be a beetle. I just want to find a picture of it since it was the largest beetle like bug I have ever seen.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Sounds like the palmetto bugs I used to see at the beach when I was little. They were the biggest darned beetles I ever saw. YUCK!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Hehe not one of those but I do have a funny story I heard about one of those bugs.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Ick why would you want to know. Groody.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
PM a palmetto bug is a roach in disquise!
Babygrl, let me tell you exactly what that bug is. It is a dung beetle!! Ha Ha anal sac on you.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
OMG, last night, while cleaning out the piggies cage, I went outside to throw out the newspapers and poops...I was returning to my door step when I suddenly stopped. I screamed. On my welcome mat, by my front door was a HUGE Palo Verde Beetle, here is what they look like and get to be about 3-4 inches long. The one last night was about 3 inches long. http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/t-tips/bugs/palo-bor.htm
These things fly too. They sometimes even fly right in to you. It is like a plane just crashed into your body.
Nobody heard my scream except my youngest son who was in the living room with the piggies. He was the only one who checked to see if I was okay. I came in to my husband, he is on the computer with head phones on, jamming away. I asked him if he felt the vibrations of the huge Palo Verde Beetle outside in our front yard. It walked right by our front door. He just looked at me with a dazed look and said No. Ugh!!! Those bugs are hugely disgusting. The one "dark reddish brown and very shiney. It's belly was kind of a bright orange mixed in with the red-brown color." sounds a lot prettier.
One time when I could not get my oldest to get up out of bed, I made the sound affects of Jurrasic Park Dinosaurs coming toward him. I was walking my hands on his pillow so he could feel the indentation. I told him if he did not get out of bed this Palo Verde Beetle was going to get him. He laughed, so I knew he was awake and finally got out of bed.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
You have no idea how many times a roach has flown at me. They live in the oak trees and man oh man. I will go insane if there is one in the house. I have been known to scream and then start stripping! Not a pretty sight at all.
Thank goodness in the two years here, I have seen and killed maybe 4 roaches. This place is so new, they are not an issue here.

KjerstiMoo

Cavy Slave
BabyGrl said:
We don't think it had wings since it was trucking though the grass and did not attempt to fly when I prodded it with a stick to try and move it.

How come I get south park vibes from this? Am I the only one giggling about the prodding with a stick-part?

But it sounds like what the germans call a käfer. They're kinda cute, even though icky..

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Are you insinuating an anal probing? lol

KjerstiMoo

Cavy Slave
BabyGrl said:
Are you insinuating an anal probing? lol

Dude! :eye-poppi No. More of the lines of the south park version of "o holy night" where they poke Cartman with a cattle prod when he gets the words wrong.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
You will respect my authority.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Was it an earwig?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
*Shudders* They give my the creeps, along with centipedes.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Oh goodness. Earwigs are my downfall. I see one and I just start screaming and running. Once I was leaving my in-laws bathroom and there were two on the bathroom sink. I screamed, turned away from them and RAN.... right into the wall. I knocked myself out. My husband came running after hearing my scream and dragged me out of the bathroom and killed the icky things. I woke up with a huge bruise on my forehead.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Not an earwig. It was way to big unless it was some kind of ginormous mutant one. It was probably a good 2 inches long and 3/4 of a inch wide. From far away I thought it might be a cockroach but it really did not look like one. Oh well I may never know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.