Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Anxiety or sow in heat?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,
Radley's friend from the shelter is coming next weekend (!!) and we are excited! She is veeeery excited, as recently she has taken to shrieking out at me and chewing on the bars of her cage. She seems very anxious and worried. When I hold her, she scrambles in my arms and seems very interested in the boy's cage behind me. She usually cuddles up but now she seems either overly interested in the boys, or just plain anxious.
I was wondering, is this a sign that she is fed up with being alone and wants her new friend ASAP? Or, is this her going into heat?
Also, I have another question. Please excuse my wording but I can't think of anything that will describe it better. When I was scratching a spot on her bum the other day, she purred deeply and stretched her bum out and I saw (ahem, excuse my poor wording) a little pink thing come out of her down there. I could not tell if it was from the genitals but what else could that be other than a penis?
When checking her genitals, she does not really extrude down there when I press although there is a little bump. It does look like a bump as opposed to the boys who have prominent penises. Also, is the "ridge" supposed to go perpinducular to the genitals? That is what I feel on Scout and Harper but Radley feels different.
I don't know. Everything screams vagina down there except for the mishap when I scratch her bum.
The lady from the shelter said she would check for me but if she's really male but I, 1) don't want her to drive all the way here to do a house check only to tell me Radley is male and 2) I want Radley to meet Scout and Harper like originally intended if she IS male!

Thanks guys! You get a cookie if you read that entire thing above :p

Can you post a photo? Sounds like she might be a he.

Oh I hope she is. As much as I want to adopt a piggy from the shelter, if s/he could live with my two other boars, that would be optimal.

The only way I can take a picture would be with my webcam. Hope fully this is clear enough.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Anxiety or sow in heat?
That little protrusion is the "bump". However, when I press my thumb and forefinger on either side of the genitals and push lightly, it seems to spread, as if it is a vagina?

I hate this, as I don't like hearing Radley cry for companionship yet I really don't want to risk pregnancy! Ughhh! :sad:

I can't tell from the photo. I'd have the sex verified before introducing another guinea pig if you're not sure.

I can't tell from the photo. I'd have the sex verified before introducing another guinea pig if you're not sure.

That's exactly my concern. I will take her to the vet but she unfortunately isn't in until next Tuesday. I know I was warned against getting a petstore to look at her sex, but could Banfield do it correctly? I wouldn't take her there for medical attention however.

That's exactly my concern. I will take her to the vet but she unfortunately isn't in until next Tuesday. I know I was warned against getting a petstore to look at her sex, but could Banfield do it correctly? I wouldn't take her there for medical attention however.

I wouldn't trust Banfield. They're not experts on guinea pigs and might not be able to tell and give you the wrong info. Our local shelter misidentified two male guinea pigs as females recently. They get lot of guinea pigs in and they still got those wrong. Guinea pig rescues and exotic vets are the best bets. If you can get a clearer photo, we might be able to help you. Does someone you know have a cell phone that can take photos?

I wouldn't trust Banfield. They're not experts on guinea pigs and might not be able to tell and give you the wrong info. Our local shelter misidentified two male guinea pigs as females recently. They get lot of guinea pigs in and they still got those wrong. Guinea pig rescues and exotic vets are the best bets. If you can get a clearer photo, we might be able to help you. Does someone you know have a cell phone that can take photos?

Well I have a camera, just no one to hold the piggy. I don't know how to instruct someone on how to hold her while I take pictures. I don't want them to hurt her spine or something.
I am getting her from All Creatures Animal Rescue so I'm sure she can sex a guinea pig, but I don't want her to drive from Apex to Greenville (hour and a half drive) to find out Radley is a boy and that I can't adopt the sow I'm intending to.
Hopefully I can find someone to hold her while I take pictures. She is quite wiggly.

Could heat be the reason for her random anxiety? She is running around, squealing madly, chewing the bars, and pooping everywhere. She usually goes in a nice little pile. She doesn't seem that interested in food or hay either, only stopping to take a bit or two before tearing around the cage again.
Why is she so upset?

Can't you have someone else take the picture while you hold her?

She might be in heat, although that doesn't sound like how my girls act. They rumstrut at each other, then fight over who gets to sleep in which house. She might just be lonely, or in a bad mood.

I wouldn't trust Banfield. Go with an exotic vet. I recently went through my own experience with an ambiguously sexed piggy. The shelter I got it from said it was a girl (general shelter, not guinea pig rescue). I posted photos here and most people thought it was a male. I took it to our cats' vet, which has a vet tech who worked for an exotic vet before, and she pronounced it a definitely female. We finally went to an exotic vet, and it turns out he's all boy! That narrowly averted a disaster, since we'd already arranged to adopt a girl (we still took her, but they're in separate quarters and we're probably going to neuter him).

Good luck on getting a definitive answer on your piggy's sex!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Anxiety or sow in heat?

@pinky, this is the best picture I could get because she was super wiggly. Or should I say he? I don't know, when compared to Scout or Harper he/she is extremely lacking. Perhaps there's a reason for that.
Oh, sheesh!
Thanks guys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.