Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Anti-Pill Fleece, (wet?) Liners, Did I Layer Right, WHITE SPOTS!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if it was OK to use Anti-Pill Fleece?

Also, my girls' liners don't feel soaking wet, and I flap them off outside every day. BUT, they feel a bit colder than other areas of their cage, like they are damp. I was wondering if this is bad for them? I don't want to fiddle with something as serious as a UTI or anything.

Also, my girls' diet is this:

DAILY, they get 1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper, a pinch of Red Leaf Lettuce, Cilantro in the morning, Grape Tomato, Timothy Hay (KMS brand), Pellets (Marizu brand) 5-6 pieces of Zucchini, and occasionally a Strawberry or something else like that. Well, I don't think they should be having white spots due to their diet, but right now is the most I have ever seen white spots in their cage. There are about 6 spots all in their playpen only, mainly in their litter boxes. It could be because last week they had Parsley 3 times, but I have stopped that to see what happens....... I dunno what else I could change, and don't really want to change much So, what else could be causing the spots?

I layered their liners for their Litter Boxes like this: Fleece, U-Haul, U-Haul, Fleece.

Then, I layered their cage and playpen like this: Fleece, U-Haul, Fleece........ did I layer correctly? I was told I should use 1 layer of U-Haul pad and I would be fine.

Also, for their cage, I cut about an inch too short. Is it OK for some poops to slide under the Fleece liner to the Coroplast? What can I use to prevent this?

__

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any and all help.

Help?

Please, these are my last liner questions.

For poops that get under the fleece, my concern is them not drying up properly and then growing bacteria. I'm not sure if this is the case, and I'm sure if you sweep in that spot regularly it will be fine. I think you could lay a towel or something under the liner to fill in that gap in a pinch.

I usually read people recommending 2 layers of U-haul pad in liners, but if the majority of pee is in the hay area and your fleece remains dry...I don't see the issue. I could be wrong. Just feel the liner periodically.

The pellets might be contributing to white spots, but I'm thinking the diet listed could use some critiquing by more experienced folks for other reasons.

Are the white spots soft and powdery? I had to do a lot of experimentation with Numa's white spot issue. No romaine, no oxbow pellets, experimenting with frequency and quantity of blue coded veggies (on the veggie chart). I think there's a diet calculator on here somewhere that also helps with tweaking their diet. A forum search should bring that up.

There's still a few white spots on the towels on weekly cage cleaning day, but nothing I'm concerned about. I do regularly feel the spots and jot down any noticeable changes.

For poops that get under the fleece, my concern is them not drying up properly and then growing bacteria. I'm not sure if this is the case, and I'm sure if you sweep in that spot regularly it will be fine. I think you could lay a towel or something under the liner to fill in that gap in a pinch.

I usually read people recommending 2 layers of U-haul pad in liners, but if the majority of pee is in the hay area and your fleece remains dry...I don't see the issue. I could be wrong. Just feel the liner periodically.

The pellets might be contributing to white spots, but I'm thinking the diet listed could use some critiquing by more experienced folks for other reasons.

Are the white spots soft and powdery? I had to do a lot of experimentation with Numa's white spot issue. No romaine, no oxbow pellets, experimenting with frequency and quantity of blue coded veggies (on the veggie chart). I think there's a diet calculator on here somewhere that also helps with tweaking their diet. A forum search should bring that up.

There's still a few white spots on the towels on weekly cage cleaning day, but nothing I'm concerned about. I do regularly feel the spots and jot down any noticeable changes.

Thanks!

I was told, though, that 1 U-Haul pad makes 2 sets of liners for a 2x4 C&C cage. Well, if I needed 2 layers of U-Haul pad per liner, then this would be impossible.

Also, I do feel the spots and they are not gritty. I do sweep up their poo spots, and I don't really want to lay down a towel because that is why I made liners.

Needless to say, I clean their cage tomorrow, for the first cleaning with the liners. Let's see how it goes, I suppose.

I definitely would love some more critiquing, though. I have been told to use 2 layers of pad, and told to use one. I can even provide links, as well. So, I am just a bit (I mean very) worried that I screwed up their liners.......... GAH!

Also, I do feel the spots and they are not gritty. I do sweep up their poo spots, and I don't really want to lay down a towel because that is why I made liners.

I definitely would love some more critiquing, though. I have been told to use 2 layers of pad, and told to use one. I can even provide links, as well. So, I am just a bit (I mean very) worried that I screwed up their liners.......... GAH!

If the spots are not gritty you shouldn't have to worry. From what I understand their urine is naturally cloudy and it's the gritty stuff that is calcium deposits which are what you need to worry about.

If you have 1 layer of pad you should be fine. You may find you need to change the liners 2x a week instead of just once a week, or you might want to put down tidy pads or piddle pads or what have you where they pee/poo a lot so you just need to wash the small pads and not the entire liner multiple times a week.

Hope this helps!

If the spots are not gritty you shouldn't have to worry. From what I understand their urine is naturally cloudy and it's the gritty stuff that is calcium deposits which are what you need to worry about.

If you have 1 layer of pad you should be fine. You may find you need to change the liners 2x a week instead of just once a week, or you might want to put down tidy pads or piddle pads or what have you where they pee/poo a lot so you just need to wash the small pads and not the entire liner multiple times a week.

Hope this helps!

What a RELIEF! Woo! Thank you...... SO MUCH!

Cage cleaning went great today. HOWEVER: MY LINER SHRUNK! The one for my cage was already cut an inch too short, and now it is like 3-4 inches short. I really don't want to remake the whole thing, so I am going to just use a hand towel to cover the uncovered Coroplast for now, but I will most likely measure it out and make small partitions that can be resewed to the liner for a tight fit.

Alternatively, has anybody had shrinkage problems and what have they done to fix it?

Did you wash and dry your materials before sewing it together?

Did you wash and dry your materials before sewing it together?

The Fleece, yes, but I was told I didn't have to for the U-Haul pad. And then again, I was told I had to, and then again that I didn't have too...... GAH!

In the world of sewing and fabric you ALWAYS wash in the hottest water the fabric will tollerate! You should have washed the uhaul pads before. As well as the fleece, they need to be prepped with wash/dry, wash/dry, wash/dry no fabric softner and no dryer sheets. Always error on the side of doing something then not doing something. I often make my liners with only one towel (haven't tried uhaul yet since I can get free junk towels from freecycle.org anytime I want them!) but that is because we have a crappy apt washer and dryer.

Is the 1/4 of a yellow pepper for 2 pigs or one? If its one then its too much. Sounds like you are not giving enough lettuce. Should give 3/4 of a cup each of red or green lettuce and the remaining 1/4 of a cup other veggies.

Also are the pellets alfalfa based or timothy based? I thought those brand of pellets only came in alfalfa but I can't remember. KMs pellets are generally the best for piggies with sludge but it doesn't sound like your piggies have sludge.

It is a normal process for guinea pigs to expel the unused calcium every day or few days in their urine.

In the world of sewing and fabric you ALWAYS wash in the hottest water the fabric will tollerate! You should have washed the uhaul pads before. As well as the fleece, they need to be prepped with wash/dry, wash/dry, wash/dry no fabric softner and no dryer sheets. Always error on the side of doing something then not doing something. I often make my liners with only one towel (haven't tried uhaul yet since I can get free junk towels from freecycle.org anytime I want them!) but that is because we have a crappy apt washer and dryer.

Is the 1/4 of a yellow pepper for 2 pigs or one? If its one then its too much. Sounds like you are not giving enough lettuce. Should give 3/4 of a cup each of red or green lettuce and the remaining 1/4 of a cup other veggies.

Also are the pellets alfalfa based or timothy based? I thought those brand of pellets only came in alfalfa but I can't remember. KMs pellets are generally the best for piggies with sludge but it doesn't sound like your piggies have sludge.

It is a normal process for guinea pigs to expel the unused calcium every day or few days in their urine.

@bpatters told me that it was 1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper per pig, per day.

I am not sure on the pellets, this is the last time I get store-bought pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.