Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Ant in Food Bowl

myguys

Cavy Slave
There was an ant in my Guinea Pigs food bowl the other day! I removed it(put it outside!),but what happens if I'm not around and he eats one? Will it hurt him?:yuck:

No. It's not likely he would eat it, but you'll want to find the place the ants are getting in and hopefully keep them out to begin with. It's one of my most dreaded things about this time of year!

A natural repellent of ants is white vinegar. Clean the area around the cage with it. Also a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes around the outside of the cage keeps critters out.

I had a severe problem with ants one year, and I ended up calling the pesticide company because I as having problems with their product. I was told that once the 1st ant finds a food/water source, it lays a pheromone trail that all the other ants follow. The only way to erase the trail is with soapy water. Bleach doesn't even erase it. I tried it, and it worked! Then I watched them to see where they were coming from, and eliminated them from there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.