Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Another reason to hate pet stores

• Thread starter starshine123102
  • Start date

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
My local PetsPlus sent out coupons. Free small animal with purchase of set-up cage. Same for fish, and zebra finches. That is so disgusting. I do not understand how people have such a lack of conscience to think that animals are a constellation prize for doing business with a company.

I mean, obviously, if you buy an animal you need a cage, and vice versa, but I just gets me so angry that people don't realize how bad these places are. Grrrr.>(

Wow, that is amazing. And at Christmas time, I am sure they will have plenty of takers on their offer. :(

Wow. Maybe you should bring local attention to this. Bring the media attention to it if possible, even if it's just the newspaper.

Wow. Maybe you should bring local attention to this. Bring the media attention to it if possible, even if it's just the newspaper.

I wouldn't even know what to say that would make people stop and listen. Any ideas?

The PetLand around here has coupons in the Sunday paper for $100 off a puppy.

And it's ads like these that help to fill the rescues and shelters a few weeks after the new year.

I really just wished all pet stores will wise-up and quit selling animals.

That is my Christmas wish if it'd ever come true.

I know what you mean, at Pets*mart this christmas, every animal was 20% off, I mean, how cruel is that ?! Pets shouldn't be "on sale", there're not cages or toys but are animals and first of all shouldn't be sold...
I now feel horrible to have bought my 2 piggers...But I love them :D
But I kind of feal bad for those piggys, because they're in small cages with bad food etc. I for me when I "buy" a guinea pig, I fell like I have saved one...
But my next piggy I will adopt don't worry

It's so sad how there selling animals like their trying to sell a blender or shirt. Animals are living, breathing things with feelings. Blenders don't have feelings. It makes me sick! Today, I had to go to Charlettown (our capital about an hour away on our tiny god forsaken island) because I was out of hay. The place I normal went to was out, so I went to pets unlimited. They had a WHOLE wall filled with yogurt drops they were trying to sell. It was disgusting! I wanted to ripe the whole thing done and yell at everyone (although they were just doing their job, I know) Why would people make things that make animals sick? Does this make sense to anyone else?

Amsley, for them, animals are just a way of making money, because guinea pigs, unlike kids, cant say : these yogurt drops are gross ! or : this cage is too small !
so the petstores are saying that they love them, because they know that animals can't say what they think...well, at least, not in words...

My local PetsPlus sent out coupons. Free small animal with purchase of set-up cage. Same for fish, and zebra finches. That is so disgusting. I do not understand how people have such a lack of conscience to think that animals are a constellation prize for doing business with a company.

I mean, obviously, if you buy an animal you need a cage, and vice versa, but I just gets me so angry that people don't realize how bad these places are. Grrrr.>(

This doesn't surprise me in the least. You just have to stop shopping there and spread the message.

I adopted my two Guinea's from pet stores and I sometimes agree with you. Although, our petsmart does have a very large cage in front of the store(Which they keep clean) just for Guinea Pigs. and all the other animals have spacious cages too. Although I wasn't too happy with the box they put Mandy in at petco. She barely had any place to move. probably only and inch.

Adopted or bought?

Adopted or bought?

Bought. Mandy I bought for $30 dollars at Petco. It was a pretty good deal considering that she was healthy, came with a cage, a cuddly-e cup, a water bottle filled with water, two food dishes filled and hay. I am not a bad person for doing that, am I?

Your not a bad person by any means. The only thing about buying your piggy, is that your buying it from a place that doesn't have a heart. They don't care about animals, they only care about the money. Buying from petstores is basically buying straight from an animal mill, the only difference is there's a middle man to make it not look as bad (but people like us see past this). Mills treat their animals with the utmost disgusting conditions. They back-breed, underfeed, stuff them in teeny-tiny cages that actually hurts them and in a lot of cases kill them, and just downright don't take care of their animals. They then send them to the stores were they get a little cosmetic work done and sell the poor things. I'm not telling you to scare you, I just want to inform you. I, unbeknowst to me, bought my first 2 pigs from a petstore. I was lucky as well to have gotten 2 healthy ones as well. They did however told me that my second one was a girl when it was really a boy and he got my sow preggers. I know have a family of 5, but none the less, I love them all (and their all separated of course)! Hope this helps a little!

Isn't it true that animals that don't get sold, get put to sleep?

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't put it past them. I know dog in the mills get put down if them can breed. It's a sad, sad thing that makes you question god sometimes.

It is really sad how the workers will do anything to make a sale. They tell the buyers that they will give them "x" product for buying the animal or "x%" off if you buy it now. I just want to walk up to the employees and see what is going through their mind. I think I know..."Gotta make that sale!!'' They are animals with feelings a responsibility, not a book or a shirt that when you are done with it you can toss it in your closet and forget it. I just wish people would understand that, but apparently not huh?

It is really sad how the workers will do anything to make a sale. They tell the buyers that they will give them "x" product for buying the animal or "x%" off if you buy it now. I just want to walk up to the employees and see what is going through their mind. I think I know..."Gotta make that sale!!'' They are animals with feelings a responsibility, not a book or a shirt that when you are done with it you can toss it in your closet and forget it. I just wish people would understand that, but apparently not huh?

That peeves me off too, especially the ones on commisson! Like you said, people you're selling animals (which you shouldn't be) not toasters or blenders or a freaking peice of paper!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.