Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Another Question?

• Thread starter suzilovespiggie
  • Start date

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yesterday during lap time. My daughter noticed on Legelas, behind his ears, what appears to be nits. We checked all the pigs and Legelas is the only one with this. We checked over his whole body and could find nothing else. Poncho has been in quarintine and the boys were not all together before this. They have not had any contact with any other pig. There is not alot of scratching going on or any biting. I checked with the GL site and they said I could use Advantage. I am going to town today and see if I can find it at the feed store.
If not I will call the vet on Tues. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I think you need a percription, but after that you can buy it online.

Advantage doesn't need a prescription and can be bought from some petstores. Most of the time though we just call up the vet and say we need some then go pick it up. The nearest petstore is 30mins away.

Well, I went to town. I live a hour away. I could not find Advantage. I could order it from UPCO but they only carry a 4 month supply. Looks like I will be calling the vet on Tues. anyway. I have a cat that needs eyedrops also. I had hoped to start the Advantage before that. Oh, Well...

There are different strengths of Advantage as well. Do a search on gl for that. You have to be careful you don't overdose the pig with it if you get a higher strength.

Ly, I did search, GL. I was so glad I did. The Advantage med started with an I (can't remember the whole name right now.) It also said what not to buy. Today at various stores what was selling was what not to buy. None of the meds started with the letter I. Without these 2 GP sites I may have bought them and would have probably killed my pigs. I've read accounts of those Hartz ones killing cats and dogs.
Because of those accounts and you guys I would not buy over the counter without checking with you or the vet. Again I cannot praise this site enough for what it has taught me for the life and health of my pigs. Thank you.

Stay away from Frontline too. That stuff has killed rabbits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.