Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Another dog?

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
I think I must have totally lost my mind. Maybe, maybe not. I currently have 3 guinea pigs, a cat, a dog, a hamster, my husband and three kids living with me. I have been thinking on and off about adopting another dog to keep my dog, Honey, who is a yellow lab mix, company. I found a beautiful Newfoundland/lab mix who is up for adoption not too far from me. He is six years old (my dog is six) and his family "didn't have time for him". I don't get that at all but that's another topic all together.

I have some concerns though, too. Honey doesn't always get along with other dogs. Would I be better just to leave her as a single dog or adopt her a brother? I would hope that another dog to run and play with would make her happy. I know if I was a dog I would want another one to chew on and roll with. I am not too fond of my dog chewing on me....she's large and leaves bruises. She doesn't hurt anyone on purpose, she's really sweet.

What does everyone think? I have to discuss it with my husband. The kids of course are all for it. They would bring every living thing they could into the house, I think.
I don't know how to post the link but he's on Petfinder.

fuzzworth

Cavy Slave
If you want to add another dog and your current dog sometimes has issues I would take her with you to meet the new dog. Make sure you let them meet on neutral territory. When I fostered my foster dogs always met my dogs anywhere but home.

If they get a long without major incident and you have done the research to know a Newfie is what your want and everyone agrees about getting a new dog, then I don't see a reason not to take him home.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
A little over a year ago we adopted a new puppy from the pound for our 5 year old dog. My first dog Rowdy is a boxer/lab mix. We adopted a little dog that is part pomeranian, but now she looks just like a little baby collie dog. We did not realize how much our older dog sat around until Sophie come home with us. They run around the fenced in back yard and chase all the time. In the house every once in a while I'll have to yell for them to settle down because they are wrestling and play growling so loud you can't hear the tv. We love her and my Rowdy loves Sophie too!

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
That's exactly what I want for Honey. She does just lay around the house all day. She loves to go for a walk but she doesn't play very much. My sincere hope is that we can adopt her a friend to roll with and chase. I hope it will make her happy. My husband is agreeable to adopting this dog if the queen (Honey) approves. We hope to bring her to meet him and if all goes well he'll come home with us. I'm waiting to hear from the shelter. I e-mailed them last night to see if we could bring Honey to meet him. My kids already want to know when we're picking him up and my youngest daughter wanted to know if I was going to bring him home today.
Hopefully we can go there Saturday morning and see how it works out. He sounds great--good with other dogs, children, he's housebroken and neutered. What more could you ask for?