Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Testing

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know of any products to avoid because of animal testing?

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
Yes, landhermie. As far as I know Proctor & Gamble still do a lot of testing. I will give you some helpful links that go much further in depth. The National Anti-Vivisection Society has a product search engine National Anti-Vivisection Society: Animals in Product Testing Also definitely check out Peta's site. They will have info for you there, too, no doubt. You'll probably find that it can be hard to shop cruelty-free (not saying you can't do it). Even lots of store brands test. I actually wrote a term paper on this subject for my 12th grade AP Government class. I still have the paper; but can't bring myself to read it again. I remember citing Peta for lots of information. My teacher rolled his eyes when I asked to do the paper on animal testing. After he read it, though, he was simply horrified with what all is involved. And no less, he didn't think my writing about it was stupid anymore. --Ash

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Also watch out for a product that says "Finished Product not tested on animals." It generally means the ingredients have been tested on them, but not the final product.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
http://www.peta.org/living/
This site has lists of all the companies that do and don't test on animals; you'll be surprised! It's a great source. Caring Consumer // Resources // Companies That Do/That Don't Test on Animals

Also check out PETA Living.

This page (as well as many others that will come up if you google "cruelty free products") contains lists of animal friendly clothing, food, and other products. You can also buy them right on the site. There are also many lists of companies that test on animals; I'm sure you can find plenty if you google it.

Also watch out for a product that says "Finished Product not tested on animals." It generally means the ingredients have been tested on them, but not the final product.

I've always had one question about this rule though. Bath and Body Works has this little quote on all of their products, yet I have heard from many sources that Bath and Body Works is a company that does not test on animals. However, I've always wondered if the ingredients have been. Anyone know anything about Bath and Body Works in particular? I love their products, but if their ingredients have been tested on animals, they're outta here.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's right, FourBWAbbys. I'm pretty sure that "this finished product not tested on animals" is required instead of "not tested on animals" in the UK, because the government tests all the stuff that goes into it on animals, or something like that.
Also, Johnson and Johnson tests on animals. There is a lot of consideration within the company to stop, though. Now is an important time to boycott them, and send letters, because it really will make a difference.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
"finished product not tested on animals" means that the company themselves haven't tested the end product on animals, but the ingredients used may have been tested on animals - definitely something to avoid.

For people in the UK, the BUAV's Go Cruelty Free section of the site is an excellent starting point and the Little Book of Cruelty Free is a great thing to carry in your handbag.

Also, if it's cosmetics and beauty products you are after I believe Lush has a very strict anti-animal testing policy, found here for the UK, and here for the US.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Most health food shops will not sell products tested on animals - though checking the labelling is a must! If a product is not tested on animals - it will usually say so on the packaging. There are some well known companies to avoid, who make lots of different products, their names (proctor and gamble, colgate-palmolive, unilever) crop up again and again:

DO TEST - Companies that DO Test on Animals

You can use this link to find out if the particular products you are using are tested on animals (US)

National Anti-Vivisection Society: Animals in Product Testing

A handy link to lists for UKers:

Cruelty Free Shopping Guide: Non-animal testing companies and products

To add to the 'finished product' topic, some companies set a fixed cut off date where the ingredients have been tested on animals. From wikipedia:

"Lush does not buy from companies which carry out, fund or commission any animal testing. Rather than have a fixed-cut off date for using ingredients that have been tested on animals, Lush does not purchase anything from companies that currently test any ingredients at all on animals.

Lush believes that this offers a better financial benefit to companies to stop testing on animals than the traditional fixed-cut off date, as they will not boycott a company or ingredient for testing in the past. Therefore, a company that tests still has a reason to cease all current testing."

thalestral, you beat me to it mentioning Lush!

Another useful link:

Cruelty Free Companies

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.