Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Angry Guinea Pig!!

kristabobista

Cavy Slave
I got two guinea pigs about 2 months ago. They are both females. I take them out for floor time and give them treats and veggies everyday. And of course hay and pellets. My smaller guinea pig is very shy but nice and lets you hold her without a problem. My larger guinea pig is very very mean! She will actually seek to bite me (or whoever is holding her, which I don't allow anyone to because she is so mean) I try to pet her and give her treats. I talk soft with her and she still hates to be handled at all. I am at wits end! I just don't know what to do. it breaks my heart. Everyday for floor time it is such a pain to get her out because she is biting me the whole time, but I do because I know she needs it and I want her to bond. What am I doing wrong?

I'd treat her for mites. A bad infestation makes for a very cranky guinea pig, and it actually hurts them to be touched.

ok. thank you. I will take them both to the vet. Is there any I can do at home in the meantime? (Our vet that treat piggies is always booked a few days)

You can start treating them with ivermectin. It kills mites, and even if your piggies don't have mites after all, it won't cause any harm to the pigs.

You can treat for mites yourself with ivermectin. See www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html for information on how to do it. It's safe as long as you don't overdose them.

Ivermectin is available from feed stores, or you can order the pour-on kind from (broken link removed), as well as the syringes to measure it with.

Thank y'all so much!! I was very worried about my poor little girl. Now I just have to find the medicine either in town or I will order it online. Hopefully I can find it at our feed store so we don't have to wait so long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.