Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition An odd question about food..

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
This is probably going to give my location away, but here goes nothing,

I was wondering, if every so often, would it be bad to give my piggies (When I get them, I don't have any yet) Dulse

(broken link removed)hat's the nutritional info. Like it wouldn't be a staple mind you but, it is VERY high in Vit C. I"m just wondering about the other trace minerals in there like iodine and iron and calcium.

It's certainly not a native cavy food, and you may be the first person in the world to ask about feeding it to them!

I have no idea whether it's safe for them or not, but it is very high in vitamin A, and that's not good for pigs. So even if it is safe, you'd have to limit it to just occasional bits of it.

Well I know I wouldn't give them the full 100g . But maybe as the occasional treat once in a blue moon or something, there isn't any guarantee they'll like it since it's pretty salty. Like there's no chemicals involved in the processing of dulse, it's a seaweed..it's picked at low tide, then cured in the sun.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.