Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Rights Am I the only one who loves their pet with LOGIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to see others opnions on my statement:

I believe a Cavy is a great, loving pet, and owners shouls always consider their health when thinking about breeding. They should be able to care for whatever babies arrive, and not make a habit out of it, HOWEVER I believe Cavy owners have the right to make that choice and breed if they want to have more pigs on their own.

I also have a strong look at this: A guinea pig is a rodent. A rodent with a decent life span, BUT they can get sick easily, and vet bills can add up. I was raised with Rabbits we housed for meat. I also had a section for pets my dad let us save from the blade. When babies were born that were a mistake, (ie, brothers playing tricks on my dad) The babies were sadly, but nessesarily put down. This wasn't done with expensive chemicals and sryinges. So, I guess what I'm saying is that it is sad, and hard when a pig gets sick, but personally, I can't see spending too much money trying to make them better. They are rodents. Some might think I don't love my pigs...UM check yourself, because I love them dearly,I just love with logic. Although I'd never be able to "put down" my pig the way we put down rabbits, I def would consider euthinisation before I'd consider surgery.

If you'd rather kill it than treat it, why do you even want or need the pet in the first place? If you are putting a value on the life by distinguishing it as a rodent, and therefore actually devaluing it, why do you need to have the pet in the first place? For your own enjoyment and satisfaction, I assume, and that's fine, but it needs to be a two way street if you're a responsible pet owner. You need to be willing to do what you can to better the lives of the animals you choose to make your pets, not simply enjoy their companionship until they get to be too much of a burden, financially or otherwise, and then toss them out like bad rubbish and move on to the next one.

I don't care what species an animal is. When I take it into my home and my life, I see it as a lifetime responsibility, including medical care. I live what a preach: I owned my first horse for nearly 30 years and paid his board for several years even though he was retired and not ridden. I paid for medication for the last few years of his life. I would not have purchased him if I did not intend to do that; the only thing that would have interfered would have been financial catastrophe that would render me unable to care for him properly, and he would have been rehomed with someone who could.

I view my piggy, Mufasa, on the same level as my current cats, bird, and horse. If he gets sick, he's going to the vet. If he can be treated with surgery, he'll get it. I don't equate his initial cost with his value because to me, he's priceless.

I do believe there are times it's best to put an animal down. If a pet is suffering, or if the treatment might be so traumatic that the end result isn't worth it, then it's time. But I'd never do it because it's "just a rodent" or "just an animal" and I can pick another one up for free off the streets. The only other circumstance in which I can imagine opting for euthanasia instead of treatment would be, as stated earlier, a financial crisis I couldn't foresee. My pets of all species are family members and are treated as such.

Wow, I'm floored. You rather your pet die than pay the vet bills to save it's life?

My pigs are part of my family. Yes they're rodents, but their life is equal to that of any other animal. I have owned cats and dogs when living with my parents, and I feel pigs have just as much personality. They get scared and they feel pain. Their emotions may not be as complex as a human's, but do they need to be? No.

When you take a pet into your home, you are responsible for it's health and happiness. If you can't provide the care for such an animal, don't get one! Pets shouldn't be some frivolous thing for your own selfish amusement. There's something very magical about nurturing and loving another creature. Caring for an innocent life, even if it doesn't provide any grand rewards for doing so, is the best feeling in the world.

Breeding is stupid for many reasons:
- It's not necessary with all the homeless pigs out there
- The sow has a pretty decent chance of dying. Why you want to risk your pet dying?
- no pig breeder breeds for the improvement of health, and I don't think there's even enough research of guinea pig genetics to breed for health. Breeders breed only for looks. Selfish.
- For every pig bought, a potential home for a pig in a shelter is gone.

If something happened to one of my pigs and they required surgery, why wouldn't I pay the money for them to keep living? If you love something, why would you cut their time on this earth short? Killing your pets because you don't want to pay for their well-being is NOT loving them. Euthanizing animals should only be done to end suffering where there's no chance of the animal ever being happy anymore.

I think you seriously need to reassess what you define as love and logic.

I agree with @mufasa, when I take an animal in it is a life long responsibility. Any animal I adopt didn't ask for me to adopt it, so I feel like I need to take care of it to the best of my abilities. It's like having children. When someone decides to have a baby, that baby never asked to be born, so it's the parents responsibility to do everything they can for that child to give it a wonderful life. That is also how I feel about pets. Having a pet is a privilege, not a right.

Over the past year I've had the worst battle trying to help my beloved cavy, Pedro. He had a tumor removed on his cheek and then a few months later had grown a decent sized lipoma on his side. I had the lipoma removed, and 3 months later I had to mave Pedro put to sleep because the lipoma had grown triple size and I knew that we were going to loose our battle. I had spent so much money for his surgeries, meds, and after care. I should also say that Pedro was 6-7 years old during all this. Did I give up on him because of the expense and because of his age? Heck no! Do I feel like I've wasted all my money trying to help him? Never! I had to do everything I could to help him within reason. "Within reason" meaning I wasn't going to put him through more surgery if the lipoma was going to grow back. I would never string a pet along when they are suffering for my own want. I did absolutely everyhing I could, but I knew the lipoma would keep coming back so I couldn't let him go through another surgery. I did my best to help him, and in the end I had to let him go. It was the hardest thing I've gone through, and I miss Pedro every day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like I have to give my pets the utmost care because I took them in, they never asked me to take them in.

Guinea pigs are rodents, but that does NOT make them disposable. You adopt for life, not for convenience.

Just a little aside to this subject. I am a new piggy owner and unexpectedly inherited my two piggies with absolutely NO knowledge of them. I immediately fell in love with them because I am an animal lover. I lost my sweet Murphy though about 3 weeks ago and am going on Saturday to try and get another one at the rescue center. The thing is that while doing my usual research on cavies I learned they were rodents. This sent me for a spin because I don't like rodents at all, not even hamsters. I still care for my Patches and while holding him last night my mind just went into a spin. It's just difficult seeing him as a rodent. I hope to resolve my confused mind soon.

Breeding is NEVER acceptable. There are simply too many animals is rescue and shelters to justify breeding a companion animal. This site is dedicated to rescue, and is anti-breeding. If you want to be here, great. Otherwise, there are other sites that might align more closely with your pro-breeding opinions.

Where I live, and the people that are around me-family and friends, are farm-based, or come from a farming heritage. Farm people-the ones tilling the soil, and raising their own food-pigs, cows, rabbits, etc, do not view animals the same way as pet owners. I love my pets dearly, and many people consider me crazy for the lengths I go to in order to house and care for them properly. I medicate, I go to the vet, I stay up all night nursing them when they are sick, I'm concerned if they are happy, and I pay the bills. This is for the life span of that animal. HOWEVER, if I'm told my dog needs surgery for cancer, or chemo , and this is the price tag, I'm seriously going to consider the best course of action to take. I am not rich, I do not have unlimited funds, and what is the prognosis? How much suffering is the animal going to endure before we "see" if he's getting better? What are the odds of surviving surgery? I have responsibilities, and that includes supporting myself and the rest of my family. If any one of you out there has unlimited funds to keep an animal alive, please, share the wealth. I'm more concerned about the quality of that time than the length of time. I pay for vet care before my own medical care, I buy pet supplies before I buy my own groceries-they always come first.

I AM: heavily involved in rescue. This means sometimes-often times-we have to do what is best for the majority of animals, not just 1 animal. Tough decisions have to be made, and guess who has to make them? Guess who retches over the garbage can and cries all night? When was the last time YOU donated to a rescue/shelter/friend having a hard time?

I AM: heavily in debt from taking my animals to the vet this month-to the tune of over $800-I do not carry credit cards (it's a very long story).

I DO: Love my animals unconditionally, and do my best for them. But I do use logic, and reasoning when evaluating a situation. I have a medical background (human) and feel I can make good decisions for my furry children.

Would you stereotype humans for a certain characteristic, i.e. all (white) (black) (Hispanic) (European) (American) people are bad, all (Christians) (Muslims) (Buddhists) (Atheists) are bad, etc.? So why stereotype an type of animal? Don't even think about what classification a guinea pig falls into. I can't think of any good reason to dislike rodents, other than their reputation because animals like rats fall into that category and are considered dirty, diseased, etc. Just toss out the preconceived notions and love your piggy for itself.

Just a little aside to this subject. I am a new piggy owner and unexpectedly inherited my two piggies with absolutely NO knowledge of them. I immediately fell in love with them because I am an animal lover. I lost my sweet Murphy though about 3 weeks ago and am going on Saturday to try and get another one at the rescue center. The thing is that while doing my usual research on cavies I learned they were rodents. This sent me for a spin because I don't like rodents at all, not even hamsters. I still care for my Patches and while holding him last night my mind just went into a spin. It's just difficult seeing him as a rodent. I hope to resolve my confused mind soon.

Actually, GGLuv, they may not be rodents. There's a difference of opinion among animal experts on where cavies go in the animal kingdom. They're actually more closely related to horses than to many other rodents.

I define logic as some sort of reasonable judgement. And this post is one of the most unreasonable things I have read here since first happening upon this site a while ago. Sure guinea pigs are rodents: which is just a classification system for biology. It has nothing to do with their personalities or how much a PRIMATE [which fyi is what humans are considered under the same classification level: Order] should love them. Love is supposed to be one of those unconditional feelings felt towards another being. Your saying "love with logic" seems to me like "love when it's convenient". Euthanizing an animal should be one of the last resorts if all options for treatment have been considered. By [considered], I mean that if surgery or medicine will just prolong an animals suffering and/ or pain and euthanizing is, in fact and by proper definition, a logical approach to the situation.

People here don't really say guinea pig people do not have the RIGHT to breed if they want to, but like to point out the dangers and what the female really has to go through to get those cute little babies. Your thinking on the subject is why there will most likely always be breeders.

I am also really curious what you mean by "mistake" bunnies and why they would have to be practically slaughtered by your father. . .?

They're actually more closely related to horses than to many other rodents.

LOL, I had a sudden vision of a horse standing with a guinea pig at his feet. The idea that a 900 lb animal is more closely related to a guinea pig, than a gp to a rat is amazing.

A rose by any other name....who cares what it is? Or what it's called? It has feelings, and loves you, so why does it matter what type of animal it is?

Ah, yes. The old 'it'sjusta' routine. It'sjusta, dog or a cat or a rat or a whatever. The oldest and most used excuse ever used to justify not wanting to spend money or time on an 'animal' if it gets sick.

I can understand keeping animals for food. I grew up raising Chickens for eggs and meat. Yes, I have seen them slaughtered.

However, companion animals are different. I have Poppy, my Piggy as my companion as are my cats and my 'Teil.

My Mom, RIP had a pet Rabbit when she was a child. She couldn't find her Bun and what was for dinner???? Rabbit that night. She NEVER ate rabbit again.

Tricks???
When babies were born that were a mistake, (ie, brothers playing tricks on my dad) The babies were sadly, but nessesarily put down.

This wasn't done with expensive chemicals and sryinges.
Irrelevant.

You say..
I love them dearly,I just love with logic.
Logic?? No. Logic applies in the real world. Geometry, Physics, C&C programming. The punch hits at the X axis and the Y Axis. Emotion knows no logic.

So, it comes down to the 'it'sjusta' routine. Nothing more, nothing less. Justification for irresponsibility in my humble opinion.

Yes guinea pigs are just rodents, just like if something like aliens were real, they would think of use as just humans. Pets have feelings too, just because they can't yell at you and say "Owwww that hurts" doesn't mean that's not exactly what they are feeling. How would you feel if you were treated as you are staying pets should be treated. If you broke your leg, your parents wouldn't think "Well her life isn't worth a few bucks" They would drop everything and rush you to the hospital asap. A lot of use refer to our selves as "Piggy moms and dads" so we would do the same for our "Children" We would never shorten there lives just because we don't want to pay vet bills.

It doesnt matter what species the animal is, it could be an insect, it doesnt matter, the point is this is a domesticated species- humans have tamed and made them completely dependent on us. You have taken this defenseless animal into your care therefore you have taken on the responsibility of making sure this animal has everything it needs to survive and flourish, it depends on you for everything. Regardless of species, life is life and this one depends on you so please try and take this animals life more serioulsy, you would want the same if the tables were turned.

For future reference, if one of your pig ever needs surgery, you can surrender it to someone else so they can save it's life. A rescue, piggie lover, etc. Don't kill them.

I would agree with most of the previous posters in saying that if your guinea pig is in need of vet care, no matter how much the cost, it is your job to find the money to pay for that; be it by digging a little deeper then you'd like or rehoming your pet, it is not fair to let them suffer simply because you think the treatment is too expensive. Yes, I do understand being frugal. However, there are other ways to cut back on costs.

You could clip coupons and get free store membership cards, so that you will receive an automatic discount on many guinea pig supplies. PetSmart has a PetPerks card, which is completely free. You can also save money by adopting in the first place. A guinea pig rescue will give you a health-checked pig, and you won't have to pay for the treatment of many conditions that pet store pigs come home with. Of course your pig will still need veterinary care, but you'll be starting out with a clean slate as opposed to one crawling with parasites. If you catch my drift.

I understand raising animals for food; my extended family raises beef cattle and goats. And yes, no animal lives forever. But if you take in an animal, no matter what, you are making a commitment for the life of that animal to keep it healthy and give it a high quality of life.

Some might think I don't love my pigs...UM check yourself, because I love them dearly,I just love with logic. Although I'd never be able to "put down" my pig the way we put down rabbits, I def would consider euthinisation before I'd consider surgery.

I feel this is a very dangerous example to set, and path to tread, we show others how to treat us, by how we treat other living things. Love with logic, is another way of saying love with conditions, I love my pet, as long as they love me back, I love my pet as long as they are no trouble, I love my pet so long as they don't cost me too much time, money, effort, etc. Now it's a very short step to, I love Granny, so long as she's not too much trouble, smells, etc. And we'll all be there some day! I'm not worried about it because I will have sent a life long example of the kind, loving, and right way to look after anything that is helpless and in need of care!!!!!!

I think humane euthanasia is warranted when there's an ailment that's terminal and the quality of life has diminished to the point where the animal is suffering. To kill an animal instead of treating it is cruel.

Actually, GGLuv, they may not be rodents. There's a difference of opinion among animal experts on where cavies go in the animal kingdom. They're actually more closely related to horses than to many other rodents.(QUOTE)

really? thats fascinating, I would love to know more on this subject bpatters, could you send me a link of some papers or other publications if you have the time? (apologies, zoologist with a love of taxonomy :))

Status
Not open for further replies.