Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Am I feeding enough?

code3chica

Cavy Slave
I have two adult males. Here's what they get....

-unlimited hay (which they seem to only eat in the middle of the night)

Morning
- large handful of greens (they seem to like red leaf over others)
-1/4 bell pepper
-1/4 cup oxbow pellets
-1 cherry Tomato each (if we have them - I ran out today)

Afternoon (usually during floor time or I give a snack if we are letting them out late)
- 1/8 bell pepper
- a baby carrot each or piece of fruit rind or something treat-like (today it was butternut squash peel)
- sometimes a Timothy hay/Apple cookie treat thing

Evening
- another handful of lettuce
- 1/8 pepper

We have had them a week as of today. One of them seems to be less happy about being with us compared to a week ago. I'm wondering if he is hungry....

Also, the pet store talked me into the multivitamin drops so I'm not giving them bc I'm afraid to. Should I be?

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I think you are feeding them fine. You don't HAVE to use the multivitamin drops- I think you just need those if your piggies don't like anything with vitamin C and therefor don't get any.

miniver

Cavy Slave
"I'm wondering if he is hungry...."
They are always hungry. lol

The bell pepper will give them the vitamin C they need, so you should need to use the drops.
Unlimted hay is the way to go. If you don't think they like it you can try another brand or another type of hay. Timothy hay and orchard grass are both polpular choices.

Congradulations on your new piggies. We would all love to see pictures of them.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
​No to the multivitamin drops.

The only vitamin supplementation guinea pigs need is Vitamin C, and they get that from the variety of leafy greens you feed them.

code3chica

Cavy Slave
They seem to like the orchard better than the Timothy, but I think they have me pegged as someone who will is "easy" and will give them more fresh stuff if they don't seem to be eating the others. Jokes on them, I'm hard on my kids, too. Thanks for verifying that I'm doing the right thing!

alanaafaye

Cavy Slave
​No to the multivitamin drops.

The only vitamin supplementation guinea pigs need is Vitamin C, and they get that from the variety of leafy greens you feed them.
If it is the Oasis Multivitamin Vita Drops then they are fine. Bpatters recommend that I give them to my girl who can't have veggies without erupting into bloat. You just don't put it in the water (which the literature suggests), you put it on the food instead.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And you don't use them every day. I use them 2-3 times a week, mainly because I've got two older guinea pigs that get no pellets and one of them has trouble maintaining her weight.

code3chica

Cavy Slave
It's Oasis. I think they are getting used to the Oxbow pellets. They got something else where they lived before. They definitely save them for last, though. Once they get used to them I will see how they do with the drops a couple times a week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.