Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies

OldUserTM

Cavy Slave
I it possible to be allergic to hay and is there anything in some brands of hay that someone can be allergic to that other brands don't have?

I know that my sister is very allergic to timothy hay so she gets either organic meadow grass or oat hay for her rabbit. Also some people do better with orchard grass.

Timothy causes the most problems. Try another of the grass hays -- meadow grass, orchard grass, or bluegrass.

Which one would be the best for allergies?

Someone in my family is a bit allergic to pollen and outdoor things, so but he wouldn't be handeling hay he would just be near it would it still be possible to cause problems if he is allergic to hay?

Depends how allergic, most people would just get sniffles though. If you keep the hay that's not in the cage in a separate area and are diligent about cleaning out old hay it'll be considerably less so.

Any of the hays bpatters listed should be fine. Whichever you can get cheaply and your pigs like.

They are all probably the same, but the vendors may have something to do with it. So I would suggest Small pet select or KMSHayloft

https://smallpetselect.com
(broken link removed)

They are all probably the same, but the vendors may have something to do with it. So I would suggest Small pet select or KMSHayloft

The vendors have almost nothing to do with it. Timothy hay is timothy hay is timothy hay, no matter where you order it from. What does affect is the weather during the growing and harvesting seasons, which affect all the fields in a given geographic area. Some years western hay will be absolutely great, other years dry and brown. And vice versa. The best you can do is call the company and ask about the quality of their hay compared to previous years. Reputable companies should tell you that -- I know KMS will.

Vendors affect the quality only because they determine which hays they're going to buy (almost none, maybe absolutely none) of the vendors grow their own) and how it's stored. If they go for the cheapest hay they can find, you're going to get lower quality hay. If they let it sit around on the shelves for months before putting it up for sale, it'll be dry and dusty.

Generally, KMS Hayloft, American Pet Diner, Small Pet Select, Oxbow and one or two others generally have very good quality hay, but it varies according to growth/harvest conditions. The cheaper hays you see at the pet store, like Kaytee, will usually be poorer quality.

Whatever it is please 1) get clean hay if you are going to get it in bulk through some private seller (this means hay free of lice, mites and other vermin - only deal with reputable brands or sellers), and 2) if you are wondering, simply go to your doctor and get an allergy test or a series of tests done to determine what allergens affect you or members of your family. This can greatly take the guesswork out.

I've seen people working in a petstore who are allergic to timothy hay. It is not uncommon to break out in an itch and hives (red bumps). Just go to the doctor and get tested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.