Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies: Immunotherapy Journey

Cavalicious

Cavy Slave
So I came back from the allergist today. She's worried that I might be getting a sinus infection so I'm on azithromycin with some prednisone as an anti-inflammatory. I'll be taking Flonase for the week (anti-histamine) as well as Advair before bedtime. I have the albuterol inhaler in case I have some dire asthmatic attack, but I doubt I'll need it.

Three days before my check up, I'll have to go off anti-histamines entirely in order for her to do the scratch test specific for these items: guinea pig dander, orchard grass, alfalfa, and timothy hay. This is because I plan to do the entire run of immunotherapy treatment (allergy shots) to develop a resistance to whatever it is that's causing my problems. I'm allergic to practically all the things on the list except for food, so she wants to make the treatment as exact to my specific allergies as possible.

Has anybody else gone through the same thing? What was it like for you?

Well, Prednisone made me vomit all day long, so my doc told me to get off that. I haven't picked up the piggies (my husband is doing lap time with them daily) but I've been spot cleaning and feeding with the timothy hay, etc. So something tells me that I'm probably allergic to the piggies themselves. Sad. Anyway, I'm going to clean the cage tomorrow and then go off antihistamines in preparation for the skin patch test on Tuesday. I'll be somewhere else for the weekend to limit my exposure and need for the antihistamines. Sometimes I look over at the pigs and think, "See what I do for you?" Anyway, I'll keep this up in case someone's going through the same thing. Or maybe to keep up my sense of humor.

I think that, in the long run, you will be extremely happy that you decided to get allergy shots. I am not allergic to guinea pig dander or urine, hays (except for Timothy), and the like, but I am allergic to molds/pollens/dust mites. Allergy shots don't really hurt at all, aren't that inconvenient, and drastically improved my quality of life. If you happen to be allergic to Timothy but not Orchard, definitely do yourself a favor and get rid of the Timothy! The only downside to allergy shots is that, if you move to a new place with new pollens/molds/grasses,etc, you may develop new allergies. This happened to me when I moved from Texas to California. I'm about to start another round of shots because of this. You should start feeling relief within just a couple of months.

My fiance is extremely allergic to the timothy hay and can't even hold piggies that live in a cage with timothy hay. We feed the blue grass from KMS and although I am completely in charge of handling the actual hay, she can hold our pigs without a reaction. Sorry about your allergies...as a side note - HATED prednisone...yuck! :(

I will be calling my doc about testing me for bluegrass hay to see if I can handle that instead. Thanks to everyone for giving me the idea!

Well, I finally got off antihistamines long enough to do the 64 skin scratch allergy test. I'm basically allergic to everything. I call my skin "Chicken Little" since it seems to act as though the sky is falling. The entire grasses section (timothy, bluegrass, alfalfa, orchard, blahblahblah) of the test merged into one huge welt. Lovely. And I'm very allergic to dust mites, which according to my doctor, would be living in the hay as well. I'm allergic to guinea pigs but not as much as I am to cats. So I'll be starting allergy shots next week. Thank goodness for the Hepa air purifier in my office or I think I'd be dead by now. The things I do for the piggies. At least now I can go back to handling them more often, but on a regimen of Advair for my asthma, as well as the Zyrtec. Wheeee!

I use flonase sometimes it burns a little. Eat a meal then take your meds with the prednisone. That will stop any stomach upset. I have npt done the scratch test cuz i just do not want to get that detailed. Take care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.