Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergic to shavings

midgetdesi

Cavy Slave
Hi I think I am allergic to th shavings, and so are my piggies. Everytime i chnage them, I get a stuffy nose and sneeze. My pigs sneeze too but only when I change it or they are running around int hem. Could it just be the dust? Has anyone else had this problem? I cant buy anything else since i am a poor college girl! HELP!
Desilu

If you're all sneezing then it could well be the bedding. If you want to put up with it, it's your choice, but guinea pigs are very sensitive to respiratory infections so please don't make them live in a dusty environment. They're much more likely to get sick, and vet bills cost a lot more than bedding.

Besides, good bedding doesn't have to cost a lot - you could just try changing suppliers for starters (I use shavings and they're really good quality - not at all dusty and don't make anyone sneeze) or use something like newspaper and hay. Have a look at this page for ideas https://guineapigcages.com/bedding.htm.

Here's some good information on allergies https://www.cavyspirit.com/allergies.htm.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Cedar and pine can cause serious health problems. If it's pine, you can safely air it out, but don't use it if it smells strongly. It can have a very faint odor and be safe, but this should be next to nothing. If it smells stronger, it still has the disease-causing oils in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.