Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergic to orchard grass?

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I switched my piggies about a week and a half ago from Timothy to Orchard because I'm a long time allergy sufferer and all signs here pointed to Orchard being better for people with allergies.

Well for the past 5 days or so I've been totally miserable! Waking up with my eyes swollen and almost glued shut, sneezing like crazy, wheezing and super congested.

Am I the only person more allergic to Orchard? Or are my piggies themselves becoming a problem? I really can't handle the thought of having to rehome them but being this sick and miserable despite taking two prescription allergy medicines every day is unbearable too.

Orchard is supposed to be less allergenic than timothy, but it's no doubt possible to be allergic to it also. Can you buy small bags of blue grass and/or meadow hay and try them? They're the only other grass hays normally available.

My boyfriend reacts more to orchard than timothy, and almost not at all to bluegrass. Might be worth a try? Especially kleenmamas with less dust. You can donate the orchard to your local cavy shelter, they get so excited whenever they get good hay in.

Also, where is your cage & hay located? Having it in, or close to my bedroom will give me allergic symptoms.

It's in my living room downstairs. I may try the suggestion of an air purifier near the cage and one in our bedroom. I'll do about anything short of having to give up my piggies.

Just an update. Had an allergy skin test yesterday. Confirmed I'm allergic to umm everything. Grass. Weeds. Trees. Pollen. Dust mites. Dogs. Cats. Guinea pigs.

I'm a "good candidate" for allergy shots but they have to try drug therapy for six weeks first. So, Allegra 180mg, Nasonex, Pataday eyedrops and a rescue inhaler (also found out I have mild asthma probably exacerbated by my allergies) for now and we'll see how it goes.

They suggested I get rid of my guinea pigs. Obviously I told them there was no way that'd happen!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.