Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

allergic to my girls??

my3girls

Cavy Slave
We have had our 3 girls since August. I have not had any problems with allergy symptoms until last week. Now when I get them out for floor time, clean their cage, hold them, etc, I start sneezing and my eyes become itchy, swollen, and red. I am allergic to rabbits. I do not know what to do - I am already on allergy meds.
Thanks for any info!!

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi,
It is possible to develop an allergy over time. I wasn't allergic to my guinea pigs until 3 years after having them. I'm also on allergy medications. Unfortunately, for me I had to house them in our workshop to lesson my symptoms. I can go out for say an hour and when I feel my allergies starting to act up I can leave.
But you may be allergic to the hay or type of bedding you are using. Have you recently switched bedding or hay to a different type?
If you suspect the hay you could always get a different family member to break it down into smaller sections and put it in brown paper bags to give to the pigs. They will have fun opening the bags and ripping them apart and it'll lesson the dust in the air. Just make sure that you or whomever does this packages the bags outside.
If you suspect the bedding you could try switching to fleece for awhile and see if your allergies calm down.

I had to go through trial and error with all these things including buying a hepa air filter to try to keep them inside and nothing worked for me because I'm just hypersensitive and allergic to almost everything except pollen, go figure. :)

When you clean the cages make sure you wear a dust mask or better yet a painter's mask. And wear gloves as well. After cleaning cages it's best to throw your clothes straight into the wash and jump in the shower. That is what I do even now. Also open the windows to let out the dander and urine flecks that are in the air, after cleaning.

Other than all that all I can say is wash your hands after handling the pigs and keep them away from your face as much as possible.

Let me know how it goes. I know how darn frustrating it can be!
Lynn

my3girls

Cavy Slave
Thanks Lynn - I use fleece for the bottom of our cage. I use aspen in the litterbox in the loft (which is nothing new). I have recently changed to Oxbow timothy hay. I was using American Pet Diner timothy hay. Maybe that could have something to do with it.
My sweet son has offered to clean their cage for me (he is 12 yrs old). I will use your suggestions and possibly teach him how to do their cage. It is quiet a job to keep their cage clean thoughlol!
Thanks! Ronda

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Switch back to the old hay and see if you get better. I would say it would be an allergy to your most recent addition or change.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hay could have a lot to do with it. Some hays are more dusty than others.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
I hope that switching the hay will make a big difference for your allergies.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.