Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Allergic Reaction to Timothy Hay

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I recently received my second 25 lb box of Oxbow timothy hay and discovered that touching this particular batch of hay gives me itchy spots/welts on my hands. Just putting it out for my pigs makes me sneeze, etc., for 20 + minutes afterward. My daughter reacts the same way, but more severely. My first box from Oxbow was just fine. I've contacted the seller & they are replacing the hay, but I'm curious as to any idea why this would happen. I've never had a problem with hay before and I've had pigs for several years. Anyone else have a similar experience?

FoxOfShadows

Cavy Slave
alot of people are allergic to to timothy...why it sprung up all the sudden i dont know but you could try orchard grass or bluegrass hay as they dont cause allergic reactions in people who have trouble with timothy most times

emcronc

Cavy Slave
My son developed eczema on the backs of his hands and wrists not long a week or so after we got our guinea pigs. He went to spend a week with his grandparents and the eczema went away! Then he came back and the eczema returned immediately. I was so worried he was allergic to the pigs given that nothing else in his environment had changed, but did a lot of reading and found that a lot of people seem to have different types of allergies to timothy hay. We switched to orchard grass and within a week or less, the eczema was gone and hasn't returned. So I assume it was the hay. And the bonus is that our pigs love the orchard grass much more than they did the timothy hay!

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I just received my replacement hay and put some out for the girls - no reaction whatsoever. The hay is much nicer that the previous batch too. There must have been something in the other hay - mold maybe, or who knows what - but I'll keep the info about orchard grass and bluegrass in mind for my next hay order. Thanks [MENTION=34464]emcronc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=34988]FoxOfShadows[/MENTION].

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.