Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Alfalfa Pellets For Baby

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hey,

So I'm thinking about ordering some of the KMS alfalfa pellets that are on sale for the new baby. She is about 6 weeks old, and will be living with her mommy (No idea on her age) in a different cage from Godric (7 months old) and Phoenix (1-3 years old) for about a month while they get used to there new home and me. After that, they will move into Godric and Phoenix's cage. So I'm wondering how I would handle feeding the alfalfa pellets to the baby. I've heard it can cause problems with pigs that don't need them, and that they can also make pigs fat, and Phoenix, who is the size of a truck, really doesn't need to gain any weight. xD So any ideas?

Thanks,
Sara and the pigs

Hey Sara,
I'm not sure of your cage layout, but I also have a baby and an adult so I'll tell you what I did to keep Scout from eating Harper's special baby food.
I have a 1x2 kitchen in my 3x3 cage and Scout has never seen a ramp or been asked to walk "upwards" in his entire 3 years of living, so he just doesn't go up to the top level to touch Harper's food, so I call it "Harper's Kitchen". While that may not work for you, you can always give the baby special floor time and watch her and her friend to make sure only the baby eats the pellets. I'm not sure if that makes sense but hopefully it does.
Someone also told me I can hand-feed Harper parsley which has a lot of calcium in it. I have been doing this every other day, but I am not sure on exactly how much to give. Perhaps someone else can help with that?

Good luck! :)

Thanks :) I just have a simple 2x3 cage for there first month, but when they are introduced to Phoenix and Godric (And hopefully if all goes will) they will be moved into a cage that's made up of a 2x5 section and a connection 3x5 section. I have an extra pet store cage that I had used for my rat when she was still alive, and I was thinking about making a kitchen out of that, only problem is that it has a little bit of rust on it, so I'm not sure if it would be safe or not...Does anyone know?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.