Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Alfalfa for a baby living with an adult?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
So I've read I should be giving baby Harper alfalfa hay to help him through his growth spurts and help him grow. However, he is living with my 3 year old boar Scout who should not have alfalfa. How do I approach this situation?
Thank you!

Cavies of any age (including pups) need a grass hay 24/7. Alfalfa is a legume hay, not a grass hay. Grass hays are timothy, orchard, brome, bluegrass, etc.
You can give him alfalfa pellets, but he will still need a grass hay. You could also just supplement your young pig with veggies higher in calcium such as parsley. Look at Ly's charts for other veggies that are higher in calcium.

Oh they constantly have an unlimited supply of timothy. That much is a no brainer. I will look into feeding him parsley and more high calcium veggies, although I can't see how I will be able to keep Scout from eating what is Harper's. Thank you for the suggestion!

I am in the same boat almost....I have a 1 that is 6 months old, 1 that is 3 months, and 1 that is 1 month old. So I was suggested to give them timothy based pellets but then during lap/cuddle time hand feed the babies high calcium veggies to supplement. Hope this helps. I cant wait to hear what others say too

Pocketmonster, your baby doesn't need alfalfa -- pigs really need a grass hay. But alfalfa is high in calcium and protein, which is why the pellets are recommended for pups and nursing moms.

But since your boar is so much older, you could take the baby out for floor or lap time and give him parsley. Check the "read me" sticky on the Diet and Nutrition forum for other high calcium foods -- just avoid the ones with high vitamin A and oxalates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.