Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Albino guinea pigs

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Someone at school said you can get albino guinea pigs. We did a search in google images and it came up with lots of pics. I thought you could only get PEW's (pink eyed whites). Am I right?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Yeah I think Piglets right because I heard that there is no such thing as a albino gp just PEW's. I've heard it a few place's.

I need some more info. She said that she could prove that there was such a thing, then I said I can proove that you can't get albinos!

Really stupid breeders or people who arent experianced in guinea pigs will call them albino. But they are wrong, it is only a PEW

I believe from my schooling that any animal can be albino. As to PEW are they entirely white? I'm not too knowledgable on the names for guinea pigs if that makes sense. And a Himalayen (sp) I'm not to sure what that would look like. Because I've been trying to figure out what to classify my white pig under. She was born completley white, pink eyes, pink skin whatever. But the fur on her paws, ears and nose turned black after a few months.

Your's would be a Himalayen Quite, and PEW's are all white and have red or pink eyes.

This is a pic of some-

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
The piggy with the longer fur in the bottom link looks a lot like Cloud (the GP I described) Except Cloud's black bits aren't that black and her eyes aren't that red lol. Also she just has long fat fur not rosettes or really messed up fur. Yay for Himalayen piggies!

Himalayan pigs are my absolute fave!

Piglet said:
Himalayan pigs are my absolute fave!
I know!! I want one sooo, much but aren't they really rare or something?

Yay for Himalayan piggies! Being white would mean they get sunburnt easier wouldn't it? I mean I have had no trouble with Cloud, the sun seems to hurt her eyes when shes having grass time so she sticks to the shade but I am still worried of the risk.

Now I'm not to sure that Cloud is a Himalayan. I compared her to the photo and I have just one more question. To have a Himalayan do both or at least one parent have to be Himalayan?

Im not sure about that, but the sun hurts Ascots eyes too. He seems to squint a lot (they're pink), so he too likes to chill in the shade

I don't know about the parent thing, I'm not really that knowing on the breed. You might luck out and someone on here might know but you would most likely have to ask a breeder (ugg!!).

Well I will just tell you all anyway because I feel like boasting a bit.

Clouds mum was Black and had little white fleks, her name was Salt and Pepper, or just Pepper for short. Her Dad was a beautiful darkish brown, his name was Elvis. cloud had a brother who was like the colour of a wild rabbit, so we called him Rabbit. Yes, we owned all of them and yes we did breed Elvis and Pepper. Not a good thing apparently. I have learnt and been told now that breeding is bad.
Pepper had another litter a while later (several months) she lost all but the smallest which I thought was weird but she didn't seem to cope with that and then the littlest piggy died and Pepper went away forever. She was such the nicest piggy.

Anyway thats what made me wonder, Clouds parents aren't white and Pepper and Elvis never had another white guinea pig like Cloud so I don't really know how Cloud could be a Himalayan.

Well Himalayan isn't a breed it's a pattern like dalmation or turtleshell.

Quiet Things, we're learning about geneology and all that good stuff in bio. I think that the Himalayen pattern must be reccesive and both the parents were cariers, resulting in your Himalayan baby.

Yes, the parents don't nessesarilly have to be himilayan to get a himi.A himilayan just has the smutty coloring on it's tips.

thank you! Cloud says hi, she wanted to join in this conversation (she's sitting here on my lap while I type)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.