Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

air condintioning and my pigs

henea guinea

Cavy Slave
I am worrying about how to keep my pigs comfortable but not too hot or too cold. I have 2 window units in my house, one in the room where my guineas stay while I am at work and one in the rest of the house (1000 square feet in all). If I leave the one in the window (where my pigs are) on all day I am worried they will get too cold but if I only leave a fan going when it is 90 they may get too hot. Advice? Oh, the reason I can't just leave the door open is I have two old dogs that are still adjusting to my new piggies and cannot be left near their cage unsupervised.

They won't get too cold -- they're just balls of fat and fur. The original cavies came from the Andes mountains, so they're much better suited to cold than to hot. Unless you've got skinnies, and that's a whole other ball game. You have to work to keep them warm.

Do be sure to put them where the A/C isn't blowing directly on them, though. You can drape a blanket over one end of the cage to protect them from drafts, if necessary.

Do you have different settings on the a/c unit? Before we had central air, we had window units and could adjust the setting to low, medium or high. I'd test the different levels and check the temperature in the room for each one to see which is best. A lot of it will also depend upon which direction your window(s) face and if you have any direct sunlight coming in. Keeping blinds or curtains closed might help to regulate the temperature a bit, too. We now have central air and the duct is right next to my double decker cage. I found that the air was blowing into the bottom cage and the pigs felt cold. I shut that vent so it's not as cold now. They're in an L shaped dining room which is attached to the living room so the living room duct still carries cold air into both rooms.

To pinky,
Today it is supposed to be hot and we are putting the ac unit on low 7 with a window open for a little indirect sunshine. Thanks for the tip!

To keep them from being too hot, you can put a jug with frozen water in it somewhere in their cage. If they decide they are too cold, they can move away from it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.