Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General age: at what age are they no longer babies?

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
i was wondering for how long is a piggie a baby?

I heard that when they are a year old they ae adults but im not 100% sure on tht XD

That's a good question! I keep calling my 3 month old a baby, but I don't think that's accurate.

Very good question. I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe we will both get a answer.

At 6 months of age they're considered young adults.

I should point out that it's at 6 months of age that their dietary requirements change so they no longer need the added calcium for bone formation. They might still continue to grow so it's hard to really differentiate between baby and adult. There's that middle group of youngster or young adult.

Also, I wanted to add that they are considered "seniors" at 4 years old ;).

Also, I wanted to add that they are considered "seniors" at 4 years old ;).

That's terrible. If they live 8 years, 4 yrs would only be middle-aged. I definitely DO NOT want to think of my Daisy as "senior". Horrors.

That's terrible. If they live 8 years, 4 yrs would only be middle-aged. I definitely DO NOT want to think of my Daisy as "senior". Horrors.

That's just what I read somewhere on here. Since they live ad least 6 years, maybe it was based off of that rather than the average age.

I think they say that because the average life span is 5 to 8 years. I have a senior I adopted when she was 5. She'll be 10 in November. Is she old?.....she's REALLY old and seems to be hard of hearing and sleeps a lot but when she knows food's on the way, she's right up there with the "youngsters"..... my 4 year olds that live with her.

I think they say that because the average life span is 5 to 8 years. I have a senior I adopted when she was 5. She'll be 10 in November. Is she old?.....she's REALLY old and seems to be hard of hearing and sleeps a lot but when she knows food's on the way, she's right up there with the "youngsters"..... my 4 year olds that live with her.

That is amazing. 10 yrs old! Now you know you are taking good care of her. I hate when my pets get old; it makes losing them that much closer. Otherwise, senior pets are so rewarding. I had wanted to look into fostering a senior dog from a Golden Retriever rescue close by, but I just don't have time. So I do other rescue work. Anyone want a brother/sister pair of Pit Bulls? :crazy: LOL

pinky you mean your middle aged youngsters its funny how any piggie can be young at the thought of food. But think that can apply to anything animal or human.
also pinky thank you for pointing out about the dietary needs that is why i was asking

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.