Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

after the big N!

midgetdesi

Cavy Slave
So its all done with, he is offically Nutered. It went exptreamly well, and now hes very very cuddly. He does though have so gunk ont he sides of his eyes.. how should I clean this or should I leave it? What is it? His cage mate misses him so much, his temp. cage is next to it and shorter so they can hear each other but now see them. How long does he need to be in isolation? 3-4 weeks? I didnt recive any antibotics so I am guessing hes in the clear.... how can I help him heal? Hes very dazy and out of it, when will he be back to him hyper, running around stage? Thanks in advance for all the dvice given!
Desi

Treen

Cavy Slave
He needs to be kept alone for 3-4 weeks. This page should answer any questions you have on how to care for him and what to expect https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm. If you have any further questions, post at Guinea Lynx (broken link removed) for the best medical information.

If his eyes are gunky, then boil some water, leave it to cool and then using cotton wool, gently dab/ wipe the area. However, his eyes being gunky along with the fact he's being lethargic may be a sign he's not doing so well (depending on when the operation was) and he may have an infection. I would call and visit the vet as soon as you can, especially if he has any other symptoms like looking as if he's in pain or not eating. They go downhill quickly so if anything doesn't seem right, get straight on to your vet for advice.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Right after the neuter, a pig will get potent pain meds that will leave your little guy a little foggy for 12-24 hours. You should see him out and about, almost normal within that time. One thing he should be doing soon after he comes home is nibbling on hay and veggies.

Make sure you check the incision area twice a day. If you see any lumpiness, puffiness, redness, swelling or if it feels excessively warm in that area contact your vet immediately as that could be a sign of infection or abscess.

We had a piggie neutered in April. His incision area healed brilliantly, but we had other complications. But that's another story for another post, ands much less common than abscesses.

The 3-4 week wait is to allow any remaining sperm in the boar to die. Otherwise, he could have "one last hurrah" so to speak.

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
Question...

When you get your guinea pig neutered/spayed, how do you keep him away from the wound. Like when my dog got spayed they put this cone thing on her head so that she couldn't get to the stitches. Please tell me they dont put one of those thing on a guinea pig...

Treen

Cavy Slave
Most of them don't actually try and chew at the stitches so collars aren't given out routinely. Those that do try to chew usually start to do it while they're at the surgery so the vet can re-close the wound and take any extra precautions to stop them doing it again. There are different methods of sealing the wound - I believe glue is quite good if you have a chewer because there aren't sharp edges (the stitches) for them to get at.

Sometimes guinea pigs will chew at their wounds and remove stitches, and if it's been invasive surgery then it's very dangerous as they're wide open to infection. One of my pigs decided to take out her stitches after coming home following an operation to remove a lump, and unfortunately she did have to wear an Elizabethan collar for a week. I can't say she was ever happy to be wearing it but she did get used to it and through various adaptions with the collar and in the cage, she was fine lying down and getting food and water. I did feel awful for her though, but not as bad as I felt when I saw she'd chewed her wound right open!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.