Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Affectionate

abyssinianpiggy

Cavy Slave
How do you make your gpig affectionate? I've seen alot
of videos and those piggys are so unlike mines!
I mean, my piggys are okay with being petted
and picked up but they just can't be so relaxed,
even in massages.

Guinea pigs are just like people in that they have different personalitys. Some will love to sit on your lap 24/7 and purr their little heads off. Some others will just be ok will sitting on your lap, and some will never like it no matter what you do. It all depends on their personality. How long have you had your pigs? Getting your pigs to bond with you is not going to be an over night sorta thing. It took me three months to just get Phoenix and Godric to eat out of my hand while sitting next to their cage, then another three months to get them to even be ok with sitting and relaxing in my lap. Though since Fus and Ro Dah had different personalitys then Phoenix and Godric, it only took them five seconds to be able to lay down and relax on my lap. A good thing to start with, is talking to them so that they get used to your voice. Though I find it hard to find something to talk to guinea pigs about, so you can just pick out a book and read it next to their cage. Also, giving them tons of treats makes them remember you as connected to good things. Some pigs also have a sorta "Sweet spot" Where they like to be petted that will make them purr. Ro Dah loves to be petted backwords, Fus spot is her lower back, and Godric likes it right behind her left front leg, you'll just have to sorta experiment. Just be careful not to make them purr to much. I have found that they are like cats, in one moment they will be purring whilst you are petting them, then the next they bite you. If I make them purr to many times in a row, they will sorta get ticked off and start squeaking.

I have found that they are like cats, in one moment they will be purring whilst you are petting them, then the next they bite you. If I make them purr to many times in a row, they will sorta get ticked off and start squeaking.

That means they are over-stimulated, like a dog that bites out of excitement instead of fear or aggression.

Well, the rest of my piggies all seem to be okay with it, but fudgeface...
I don't know, but when I just pet her back leg it seems to hurt. Why?
I don't even put much pressure at all. She is fine with me touching her
But only the front half of her. The other half seems to hurt when I touch
As lightly as possible when the rest of my piggys even purr when I pet
Them on that spot.

Part of taming pigs is learning where they like to be touched. If Fudgeface isn't injured, and doesn't have arthritis there, then she just doesn't like being touched there. So just keep touching her front half. Maybe when she learnes to relax, she'll let you touch there, but maybe she'll never like it.

Many pigs don't like to be petted or touched near their back end. Maybe because it reminds them of being mounted by dominant pigs.

Some pigs don't like being touched back there because they have mites, and being touched is painful. If you touch a pig and it makes a spasm type of movement, or tries to bite you, then consider that it may have mites.

The only affectionate thing my pigs do is sprawl out in my lap, and only 3 out of 4 do that. I only have one pig that doesn't mind his rear end being touched. Sometimes my hands will get licked, but this only because I have something tasty on my fingers.

One of my piggies that I've had for a year refuses to be directly on my lap. I have to keep him in a shoebox for him to feel relaxed enough to settle in my lap.

They need lots of patience and gentleness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.