Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Affection

BaysideBandGeek

Cavy Slave
I've noticed how people talk about their pigs and how affectionate they are. My pigs are great and very affectionate, once they are out of their cage! They never want to be taken out of the cage, and once they see the cage during floor time, they get ansy and are very eager to get back. When I reach in to pet them they usually hide unless I caught them being busy. Is this normal?? When they're out of the cage they are fine. They run around me and nibble my feet and hands and chirp and popcorn. I've given them veggies during floor time and I pet them, so is there still something wrong? I've had them a few weeks now. I'm not sure how long it will take untill the fully adapt. Problem is school is August 10th and these pigs are going to be class pets (home on weekends.) If they show no sign of wanting to be held, what's the point of them in the classroom?? They will be in a 6th grade class and only 2 people a day can hold them.

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
Mine are the exact same way, and we have had them for about 6 monthes or so. I think it's just the way pigs are!

Even if they can't/ won't be held they could still be valuable in the classroom. It helps teach responsability, nurturing, and thinking of others over oneself. It is also a learning tool for science. To watch something grow and live. Sixth graders are old enough to understand nutrition and the importance of it, and the differences in what we eat and need versus their needs.

The educational prospects are endless!!

Best luck!

Last edited:

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
Guniea pigs generally don't like to be picked up - and they tend to be fairly delicate. How old are the kids going to be that are around them? I know that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a bunch of kids around Cujo, but that is me. Once out of their cage they usually are fine, but they really don't care for being picked up too much.

BaysideBandGeek

Cavy Slave
Around 11-12? Older kids, 6th graders. Only 2 people can hold them a day, so they won't be overheld. Mom is going to make an apron to carry the pigs in so they can sit at their desk and do their work and the pigs can sleep and such with them.

Jennie&Steve

Cavy Slave
We had guinea pigs in our 5th grade classroom and LOVED them. They had similar rules where only 2 people a day can hold them, and they got to go home with the kids on the weekends if they had permission from their parents. I don't think any guinea pigs like to be picked up out of their cage. It's their instinct to run and hide when something from above comes grabbing at them. If they're well-mannered guinea pigs outside of that (no biting, etc.) the kids will love them. If they're really hard to catch, you might want to be the one to take them out of the cage and then hand them to the child or put them directly into the child's lap. This way you won't have to worry about the kids grabbing at them and possibly hurting them. But like I said, we had them in grade school and loved them. I'm sure they'll make excellent additions to your classroom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.