Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Advise on housing males together

lencar44

Cavy Slave
I have a one and a half year-old, unneutured male piggie (Carl). I adopted him and his brother when they were babies and they lived happily together until sadly, his brother died. Currently, Carl moved back home to my parents' where he gets along with their male pig (same age and also unnuetured) when outside the cage or in their big outdoor pen, but still are housed seperately. I need to get Carl a friend or two and need some suggestions on how to choose the right piggie(s) so that we will have harmony and they can be housed together. Should I get a young pig? Should I get a pair of littermates or would a one new pig at a time be best? I was thinking of getting a young pair of brothers so they can "grow-up" knowing Carl as the "older brother". Is it a horrible idea to try to house two (or more) unneutred males together? Any advise appreciated. The sooner I come up with a plan, the sooner I can adopt a piggie. Best Wishes.

They don't have to be neutered, and I have a question: Can you house your mother's guinea pig and him together, since they seem to get along?

I think your best bet would be with a younger male. I've seemed to have no problems putting a younger male with an older one. I'm not sure about two at a time, I've never tried it personally. Good Luck!!!

RubyPiggie2 said:
They don't have to be neutered, and I have a question: Can you house your mother's guinea pig and him together, since they seem to get along?

We haven't tried to house them together because they both are established in their own cages and their cages are better sized for a single piggie (before both Carl became Runtie's neighbor they were "free ranging" around the house with full access to their cage). They do spend 2-4 hours a day together in their outside pen which is quite big and more of a neutral territory. The other part of the equation is that I live in Southern California and they live in Northern California so they wouldnt be together for long. The situation is only temporary while I grieved my loss and also moved to a new house.

Thanks for all the advice. I will deffinetly get two or three of everything and make the transition in a neutral area. This site is really helpful. Thank you to everyone - and Carl says thank you too!

I would get one at a time, unless the pigs have already passed puberty.

Hi, I'm in So CAL. There are tons of boy piggies that need homes. What area are you in?

rabbitsncavyluv said:
Hi, I'm in So CAL. There are tons of boy piggies that need homes. What area are you in?

I'm in San Diego.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.