Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Advice on getting a second pig

Scout.Layne

Cavy Slave
Hello there -

I've wanted a guinea pig for a few years now. I adopted Hairbrush around Thanksgiving. The rescue that I got her from had trouble adopting her out because she fought with the other pigs. So she kept getting sent back to the rescue. They wanted her to be adopted as a single pig, and I thought she was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

Now, though, I'm starting to wonder if she gets lonely.

The thing is that when I picked her up in the shelter she was in a C&C cage with a group of 4-5 other female pigs. And she never had trouble fighting there. It was only when she was adopted out that she started to fight. So I'm starting to wonder if maybe she was adopted out and then put in a cage that was two small, or just needed longer to adjust to her new environment. She's also an older pig, so I'm not sure if her age has anything to do with a need to establish dominance in a new cage.

Currently, Hairbrush lives in a 2x4 cage, but I have plans to expand it to a 2x6 before adding another pig.

So my question is, do you think getting her a friend is a good idea if she has a past of not "playing well with others"? Also, if there is a problem, I was thinking I could split the cages (so each pig would have a 2x3). That way the girls could still see each other and interact, but not fight. Would this be an ideal solution, not?

I know that you guys can't predict the future and there's no way to know for sure that Hairbrush would do well with a companion, I am just looking for advice.

Thanks

To my knowledge, older guinea pigs will bond better with younger pigs. The older pig will normally take on a parent type role for the younger one. So I think that getting a new pig is a wonderful idea. If fighting does start you will have to seperate them

Thanks. I was already thinking it was the right idea, I just wanted to be sure. I just she's as excited about a new roommate as I am. :)

I have a 2.5 year old female pig that has the same bossy attitude, and wouldn't get along with any other female pigs. I adopted her a sister that was 6 weeks old from an accidental litter on craigslist in Jan. She took to the baby like it was her own just like the others say. When I first introduced her though she didn't want to be around her. She told her she wasn't allowed in her hide, or any where she was resting. But after a week it all changed. She still bosses her around, but they have definitely bonded and love each other.

hey - a fellow garden state-er!! so, i feel like johnny one-note here, but i've had some intense experiences since last fall. i started with one pig, and now have 4 - long story, but the one thing i would say if you're thinking about adopting, ESPECIALLY with a known history of fighting with other pigs, is to be prepared (at least mentally) for a Plan B, just in case the pig you adopt doesn't get along with your current one. a meet and greet is helpful, and all the other suggestions here are also helpful. i'm assuming you'll follow the guidelines on guinea lynx about introductions as well. but with these guys, it's the roll of the dice. the best you can do is minimize the risks and optimize the potential for success, and then it's on them. i have three boys- 2 older ones and one teenager, who very happily co-exist. and right next to them, in a separate cage is jerry, who can't seem to get along with ANY of the other three - believe me, i've tried every combination. he actually seems much happier, more content, on his own. some pigs are better by themselves. i even had to but some coro between the cages so he couldn't see the others - it would agitate him too much. so, good luck and Godspeed guinea slave!!

We adopted Quee when she was 4 years old, and she'd been living alone that whole time. We introduced her to Kwee, about 2 months old, and they got along great instantly.

You should consider adopting a neutered male as a companion for her.

jacqueline - I moved to New Jersey a few years ago and I'm still getting used to living here. I'm originally from Virginia. So at first I had no idea what you meant by "fellow garden state-er". Ha! :)

and

pinky - I have considered that option but usually the shelters around don't have many neutered males adopting out at a single, but I will be sure to keep my eyes open for all possibilites. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.