Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

advice on building my first cage

werecatrising

Cavy Slave
I recently bought my grids from wal mart. I love them! I got the purple. They are way stronger than I expected. They were on clearance so I bought 3 boxes of 17. I was planning on building a 5x2 but after some measuring I'm not sure that will work. I could fit a 4x2 but that might get a bit cramped with 3 pigs. How would a 4x3 work? I need it to be covered and would like to add a second level. Will I need to have something to support the top? I am also thinking of adding a kitchen area. How big should it be?

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
A 4x3 would work just fine, that is actually more (2 foot) square footage than a 2x5. :)
If you are wanting to add a kitchen and loft, I would suggest making them one in the same... Make your loft the kitchen area. If you make the cage 4x3, I would probably make the loft a 1x3 down one end of the cage. By 'would I need something to support the top', do you mean the loft? If you make the loft a 1x3, Id say it would probably be best to put some sort of support under the middle grid just to be safe--alot of people use cardboard tubes (kinda like a paper towel roll) or small PVC to just help support a bit. I have a sort of U shaped loft that is 3 grids long and 2 grids wide, without any support underneath and it works fine.....but I have it put together with so many zipties that I may never get it taken back apart! :D
If you mean the top, as in the cover, then no--all you need is the connectors and zipties, or just zipties. The cover doesnt bare any weight so shouldn't need support.

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 would be a mite cramped for 3 pigs, so a 3x4 would work. Only thing about a 3x4 is that it would be harder to reacn the corners for cleaning and getting to the pigs. If you wanted to do a loft, a 2x2 (maybe offset) could work, although I wouldn't make the loft your only kitchen area, mainly because some pigs just can't, don't, or won't go up the ramp for food. You can still make the loft your kitchen area, but have one on the ground level too.
If you do a 4x3 (which is a good size for 3 pigs), I would do a 1x3 loft. When I use lofts, I always make them offset, because then you can slide a bin in there for storage. If you end up with a 4x2, a 2x2 or 2x3 loft would be good, (although not all of the pigs may use it) it's a good space for them to get away from each other if they have an arguement.
I personally wouldn't do a 4x3, mainly for cleaning issues, but if that fits your space it would be better by far than a 2x4.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just to say that a 2x4 is not just "a mite too small for three pigs," it's WAY too small for three pigs. Please don't do that to them. You need a 2x5 at a minimum and larger would be better.

Maisie&Hazel

Cavy Slave
That's true....sorry.