Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior advice on bonding

evac12

Cavy Gazer
this is bonding question. i have a trio of males not brothers who i got together at 6, 8 and 10 weeks. they are now round 11 months. the middle male had to be separated from them as he was getting bullied by eldest. the eldest and youngest are living together with youngest being the submissive and the middle guinea lives on his own in same cage separated by grid. i adopted neutered male and introduced him to the middle guinea. intro went well so i moved them to the cage. this caused my other 2 makes go crazy. the submissive one started chasing and humping the eldest and bith started to square each other up. i had to remove the new guinea pig out of there. things settled down since but i am confused ad ti why this happened. will i try again? i am worried that i will risk my bonded pair to fall out in the quest to make the lonely pig happy? any advice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A trio of boars almost never works. You may wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live with either of the others.

Your best bet is to rehome one of them, or get another and set up two pairs.

evac12

Cavy Gazer
thats what i tried. 2 males are currently in their half of cage and 1 male in his half. i tried to get him companion. but the other 2 smelled abd geard him abd went at each other.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You may need to completely separate the cages.

You'll also need large cages. Adult boars need a lot of space, and no cage you can buy from a pet store is large enough for them.

You also need to be careful how you introduce them. See this link for how to go about it: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.